Q. My heart beats fast and eyes become red if I drink alcohol. Is there a treatment?

Dr. Nidhin Mohan
Published on May 03, 2018

My heartbeat raises and the eyes become very red and I become tired when I take alcohol. Why does this happen so? And, what is the treatment?

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Internal Medicine
#

The alcohol ingested is metabolized in the liver and converted to acetaldehyde. This takes place in the liver. The variations in the effect of alcohol in different people take place because of the difference in the genetics of enzymes called alcohol dehydrogenases (ADH). In short people with ADH enzymes fast acting in the liver, based on genetics, will have less effect of alcohol as the alcohol gets converted fast to acetaldehyde and vice versa.

Answering the second part of your question regarding treatment, make sure you drink plenty of water while ingesting alcohol and also avoid taking alcohol on an empty stomach. The effects of alcohol on you seem more than usual because of genetics which cannot be changed and of course the best treatment would be to cut down or stop alcohol.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is there a treatment for this? Since three months I am not taking alcohol. And if I do, all these happen to me. Kindly give me a treatment so that I can take alcohol sometimes and not always.

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Internal Medicine
#

The most important part of treatment is psychological support. You can join support groups for free. After those sessions, if you still feel the urge then you can start on this medication Acamprosate 333 mg three times a day after food for two to three weeks and then follow up. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent. Before starting this tablet, you need to check your creatinine level and liver function blood test.

I need an evaluation of my annual health check up. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, As part of a corporate health check up, I had undergone liver function test, USG abdomen with pelvis and lipid profile. The impression in the USG was mild hepatomegaly with grade-II fatty changes. I have attached the reports. In LFT the total bilirubin was 1.41, direct bilirubin 0.43,...  Read Full »

How to get someone to stop taking alcohol forever?

Query: Hello doctor,My husband takes too much alcohol daily. I want him to stop alcohol forever. About one week before, we have done a health checkup. His SGPT level has increased by 108. What should I do now?  Read Full »

Can lowering the legal age of drinking combat the problem of binge drinking?

Query: Hi doctor, Medically, is there a big difference between drinking alcohol by an 18 year old and a 21 year old? Some proponents of lowering the legal drinking age believe it will combat the rising problem of binge drinking on college campuses. From a medical perspective, what are the cons of lowering...  Read Full »