Q. Is it safe to use Flonase daily?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

I am a 36 year old male. I am allergic to pollen and I seem to get allergic reactions randomly even outside the allergy season. Ever since I started taking Flonase, it has completely eliminated all symptoms. Is this safe? Can I take it every day for the rest of my life? Thanks.

#

• Your allergies due to pollen might be seasonal. Did you try tapering it off when the weather changes?
  • The best step would be to determine your allergens. I would suggest patch test first to eliminate potential environmental allergens or receive relative permanent solution against them.
  • You have alternative choices like using Claritin (Loratadine), Zyrtec (Cetirizine) or Allegra (Fexofenadine). These should be used once daily and all are antihistamines.
  • Flonase (Fluticasone propionate nasal spray) is a nasal steroid and I am afraid that you may have to use it as far as the allergens are around.
  • Try using the alternative treatments while obtaining a patch test, that way you will avoid taking Flonase.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|