Q. Despite using Esiflo, my son has breathing problem. What to do?

Dr. Parin Niranjanbhai Parmar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

My son is asthmatic since childhood. For the past five months, he is having breathing problem. Currently, he is using Esiflo every morning. But, he is still having the problem. Please help.

Dr. Parin Niranjanbhai Parmar

Paediatrics Pediatric Allergy/Asthma Specialist
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know more about you as follows:

• I understand that your son is having breathing difficulty for the last five months. But overall, what are the best and the worst seasons for your son?
  • What are his nose symptoms - congestion, running nose, sneezing, nose itching, etc? How frequent and severe his nose symptoms are?
  • Does he have any eye symptom? If yes, what are they - itching, excess watering, redness, etc?
  • Is there any digestive symptoms? If yes, what are they - constipation, frequent loose stools, indigestion, flatulence, frequent acidity or chest burns, feeling of fluid in mouth, etc?
  • Are you routinely exposed to any kind of smoke or pollution?
  • Since when he is taking Esiflo (Salmeterol)? What frequency? In what form - rotahaler, metered dose inhaler, etc? Have you shown the technique of using inhaler to your doctor?
  • Above details would help me to know your complaints better and therefore to make suggestions for you more specifically.
  • At present, from your short query, I can assume that he is having asthmatic complaints. Detailed suggestion of treatment can be given after knowing in depth about your symptoms.
  • If you have started using Esiflo for more than two weeks and still have same complaints and the technique of using the inhaler is proper, I would suggest my such patients to increase dose or frequency of inhaler or to add additional daily drug such as Montelukast.
  • Please avoid exposure to smoke, cold air, pollution and dusts as much as possible.
  • I will also suggest two tests: Allergy skin prick testing for common air-borne allergens, to know whether the person is allergic and also to identify the allergy and spirometry, to know the lung capacity.
  • These two tests will help to diagnose the condition. Above tests will also help your doctor to plan the treatment in a better way.
  • Regular breathing exercises including pranayama and yoga will also help to gradually improve the lung health.

Revert back with detailed answers to a pediatric allergy asthma specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pediatric-allergy-asthma-specialist

|