Q. What could be the best medicine for allergic rhinitis?

Dr. Alok Rathi
Published on Oct 13, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am currently using Duonase nasal spray and Odimont LC for the allergic rhinitis. I am getting mild fever after taking Duonase.

• Is it safe to take Duonase?
  • Can I take Paracetamol for fever while using Duonase?
  • Is there any alternative for Duonase without steroids?

Dr. Alok Rathi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Duonase (combination of Azelastine hydrochloride and Fluticasone propionate) is a topical corticosteroid and is safe.
  • Yes, you can take Paracetamol for fever.
  • Alternative treatment is to avoid the possible allergens you are suspecting. 
  • Mometasone containing nasal sprays are other options.

For further information consult an allergy specialist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

Thank you doctor. I would like to know is there any ayurveda treatment available for allergic rhinitis? Because I do not want to use steroids as it has worse side effects in long-term use. Please suggest.

Dr. Alok Rathi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• There are no side effects with topical Corticosteroids. You can start using Metaspray (Mometasone) one puff in each nostril in the morning after breakfast. If the spray reaches your throat, you should not swallow, just spit it out.
  • The only precaution is using it in proper way. Use your left hand to spray in right nostril and vice versa. With proper usage, no side effects will occur.
  • You can try ayurveda too. But results will take longer time and not guaranteed always.
  • In allopathy, any result will be visible within three weeks so that you can modify your treatment accordingly.
  • Ultimately, treatment of allergy is getting away from the possible allergens. Stay away from the dust, smoke, other possible allergens you think of such as cold exposure, some food products, etc.

For further queries consult an allergy specialist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

I took Flonase for hay fever and had chest tightness. Can I continue taking it?

Query: Hello doctor,I started taking Flonase at night for hay fever and when I wake up in the morning I am having wheezing and my chest is tight. I do not want to stop taking it because it is so helpful for my allergy symptoms but I am really worried about this side-effect. Current medications are Cymbalta...  Read Full »

What to do if I accidently got Fluticasone spray in the eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I think my Flonase (Fluticasone) nasal spray bottle was empty which is actually was and I have no idea what suddenly changed. I started pumping it which I usually have to do when it is empty before I reached my nostril, and a puff sprayed into my left eye. As I heard the sound, I imme...  Read Full »

Simple Guidelines to Cure Asthma

Article Overview: Here I have explained the term asthma and how our body works against allergens. I wish people to have a good understanding of the disease and treatment options to go a long way in establishing a cure for it. Read Article

Dr. Shruti Sridhar
Homeopathic Physician

Hay fever and asthma are very frequent today. Allergy or hay fever is the inflammatory reaction of the respiratory system to an allergen. All allergic attacks initially begin as acute episodes of runny nose, watery eyes, itching, etc. It will occur periodically to one or more allergens. Here, I am e...  Read Article

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now