Q. Can decrease in semen, low WBC and alopecia in pubic area be related?

Answered by
Dr. Atishay Bukharia
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 06, 2018

Hello doctor,

I noticed a small triangular bald spot in my beard three weeks ago. It was likely alopecia areata. Saw my dermatologist last week, she said it was likely folliculitis. I have had folliculitis before in the same area and it was much different. She is the doctor. So I accepted and moved on. One small spot that has some hair growing back, small thin white hair. Yesterday, I noticed what appeared to be a bald spot in my pubic hair above the penis. When I trimmed the hair back, it revealed a quarter sized bald spot and a smaller dime sized spot. I am not sure how long they may have been there as they were somewhat masked by a longer pubic hair. So, now I have what I believe to be three spots, two below abdomen and one on beard. My concern is more of them spreading than the current spots.

I am now thinking back about the annual checkup that I had with my GP six months back. I advised him that in the past year the amount of semen I produce has gone down drastically. I thought it may be a testosterone issue. He advised it was likely a result of my vasectomy the year before. Also as a part of my visit, my WBC was lower than normal, outside of the range by a couple. He was not concerned about that either.

My question is whether any of these things are related: decrease in semen, low WBC, and alopecia in pubic area or all separate issues? I see no reason to go back to the dermatologist as my new spots are hidden. Based on these separate facts, is there any likelihood they are related and is there any reason to see a doctor?



Welcome to

Alopecia areata is an immune disorder and is separated from folliculitis and it has nothing to do with your semen count and low WBC. Nevertheless, please send me a few good quality photographs taken in a natural light.

Thank you doctor,

Here are two photos: one with a triangular spot on the beard and one of the pubic area with a quarter size spot.



Welcome back to

Yes, it is alopecia areata (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Just try Tacrolimus 0.1 percent ointment twice daily and Tretinoin 0.05 percent ointment once daily.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have thinning of hair with alopecia areata. What is the treatment?

.. is alopecia areata and the hair loss is telogen effluvium with possibly androgenetic alopecia. Telogen effluvium can be caused by any recent prior illness, thyroid problem, low iron Hb, nutrition related, stress, etc. For alopecia areata, you can...   Read full

If I take Methotrexate for alopecia areata, will it result in more hair fall?

.. is a chronic recurrent condition that occurs due to a genetic component. Due to its genetic component, it has a tendency to recur again and again. Both Dexamethasone and Methotrexate are good options. Taking Methotrexate is better as it causes few...   Read full

My blood report shows low WBC count. Is this an serious issue?

Could this be due to increased exercise intensity everyday for the last two months or is this a serious issue such as leukemia, myeloma, or lymphoma ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»
Importance of Sex Hormones - Types, Functions, Normal Ranges, and Roles
Sex hormones are steroids produced in the body that control sexual development, pregnancy, and overall health. Read belo...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.