Q. Can decrease in semen, low WBC and alopecia in pubic area be related?

Published on Sep 06, 2018

I noticed a small triangular bald spot in my beard three weeks ago. It was likely alopecia areata. Saw my dermatologist last week, she said it was likely folliculitis. I have had folliculitis before in the same area and it was much different. She is the doctor. So I accepted and moved on. One small spot that has some hair growing back, small thin white hair. Yesterday, I noticed what appeared to be a bald spot in my pubic hair above the penis. When I trimmed the hair back, it revealed a quarter sized bald spot and a smaller dime sized spot. I am not sure how long they may have been there as they were somewhat masked by a longer pubic hair. So, now I have what I believe to be three spots, two below abdomen and one on beard. My concern is more of them spreading than the current spots.

I am now thinking back about the annual checkup that I had with my GP six months back. I advised him that in the past year the amount of semen I produce has gone down drastically. I thought it may be a testosterone issue. He advised it was likely a result of my vasectomy the year before. Also as a part of my visit, my WBC was lower than normal, outside of the range by a couple. He was not concerned about that either.

My question is whether any of these things are related: decrease in semen, low WBC, and alopecia in pubic area or all separate issues? I see no reason to go back to the dermatologist as my new spots are hidden. Based on these separate facts, is there any likelihood they are related and is there any reason to see a doctor?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

Alopecia areata is an immune disorder and is separated from folliculitis and it has nothing to do with your semen count and low WBC. Nevertheless, please send me a few good quality photographs taken in a natural light.

| 

Here are two photos: one with a triangular spot on the beard and one of the pubic area with a quarter size spot.

#

Yes, it is alopecia areata (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Just try Tacrolimus 0.1 percent ointment twice daily and Tretinoin 0.05 percent ointment once daily.

| 

What causes elevated liver enzymes and low white blood cell count?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a complete blood profile done about two weeks ago, and my doctor said that my reports were normal. But, my WBC and neutrophil count were low. After doing some internet searches, I am anxious. Although the doctor said it was fine, he gave me some supplements. But lately, I have bee...  Read Full »

How can I stop hair loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been experiencing a patch of hair loss and it is getting bigger. I had two but the one is gone now. I am very proud of my hair and this makes me emotional.  Read Full »

Is it possible to start or continue chemotherapy at very low WBC counts?

Query: Hello doctor,I want to have an opinion about my daughter's (8 years old) chemotherapy treatment for B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. I want to know that is it possible to start or continue chemotherapy at very low counts of WBC and WBC differential.  Read Full »