Common "Semen Analysis" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Semen Analysis

Test performed to see the concentration, motility, and morphology of sperm in a man's semen is called semen analysis. In this test, they also check the pH level of the semen, the fructose level in it, and the time taken for the thick white semen to turn liquid (liquefaction time).

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I feel a sharp pain in my vagina after urinating. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I feel a sharp pain in my vagina after urinating.  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Get your urine routine and culture, high vaginal swab culture. If you are sexually active, then get partner's urine routine and his semen culture and sensitivity. At present, you can apply steroid with antibiotic and antifungal ointment for local application. You can al...  Read Full »

Can chlamydia infection cause permanent problems in male fertility?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old male. Earlier this year, I had chlamydia infection for about four months. I have been clear of the infection since about seven months. Now, my partner and I are trying to conceive. I had a semen analysis and the results were not great. The worst part is the morpholog...  Read Full »

Dr. Sathawane Aparna Mulchand

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Chlamydia is one of the major reasons for this situation along with other factors like smoking, and alcohol. Complete the course of antibiotics given by your doctor to improve your semen. Also quit smoking, and alcohol consumption if you are taking.Yes, there are goo...  Read Full »

Kindly tell how serious is the low sperm motility issue based on semen analysis report.

Query: Hi doctor, Recently my husband had gone to semen analysis and doctor mentioned that he has low motility but not sure how serious is the issue. Here are the results of semen analysis volume 1 ml, the viscosity is normal, reaction alkaline liquefaction is 25, fructose is positive. Total sperm count i...  Read Full »

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your husband is suffering from asthenoteratozoospermia where motility is very less and dead sperms are high, likely due to infection, yes. The life cycle of sperms is 120 days and hence at least three months of treatment is required with sperm energizers and antioxid...  Read Full »

My sperm analysis is provided. Are they normal?

Query: Hello doctor, My sperm count is 64 M/mL, motility 60 %, rapid linear progressive 15 %, sluggish linear progressive 15 %, forward progressive 30 %, morphology normal 35 % and abnormal 65 %. Are these values normal?  Read Full »

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Are there any pus cells or WBC's (white blood cells) in the sample report? Also, is the fructose test positive? Please share the complete report as an attachment.  Read Full »

I have erectile dysfunction and ejaculation problems. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, My cum is not coming out by force or thrust. The cum is just flowing out of my penis. Three years earlier the cum was coming out by force or thrust. I am having erectile dysfunction may be since last two years or two and half years, and I was not having erectile disfunction earlier. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through your query. I would like to know whether the amount of semen ejaculated had been the same over the last three years or has it decreased? Firstly, the speed with which the ejaculate came out does not unduly affect your fertility. I would suggest you h...  Read Full »

We have been unable to conceive since four months, and all my reports are normal except the semen analysis report, which is due. What is expected in the report? Kindly suggest.

Query: Hello doctor,My wife and I have undergone many laboratory investigations as we are trying to become parents for the past four months. My grandfather has four children and my father has two so I do not think of infertility issues in the family. My wife's blood test and ultrasound reports are normal. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhav Vishal

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to Kindly follow the suggestions already mentioned and regarding the Y chromosome defect, I would like to add that genetic testing is only required if semen analysis has any major abnormalities. I hope this has helped you. Thank you.   Read Full »

I am a 29-year-old male with greenish colored semen after a staphylococcal infection. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29-year-old male and have undergone multiple tests and consulted with several doctors. For over two years now, my semen has been consistently green in color. The urine test always comes back normal, but the tests on my semen have shown the presence of Staphylococcus haemolyticus a...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I saw the results provided by you and will help you to understand it better. Thanks for sharing the culture result (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). The prostatic infection requires long-term antibiotics and a treatment course of four to six ...  Read Full »

What are the things to consider before planned pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, What are the best things one can do to get pregnant?  Read Full »

Dr. Gowrimeena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to As with anything, having a planned pregnancy has a better outcome than an unplanned pregnancy. For both partners, adhering to a healthy lifestyle in terms of diet, fitness, stopping smoking and alcohol, and stress management are important. For the woman, in particular,...  Read Full »

I am trying for baby for the past four years. Why have I not conceived even after taking many medications?

Query: Hello doctor, We have been trying for a baby for the past four years, but we did not get any fruitful results even after taking many medications. With all hormone tests and with normal reports (complete blood count, TSH, LSH, random blood sugar, HSG, laparoscopy, and biopsy), she is still not able t...  Read Full »

Dr. Alison Ann Rodriguez

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. There are often many reasons why a couple cannot conceive. I did not see a semen analysis in your query or laboratory results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If this has not been done, that would be the next step. If this h...  Read Full »

I have low levels of semen when I masturbate. What could be the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old male that recently has had low levels of semen when I masturbate. However, there is no pain or swelling. I had gone to urgent care, and they told me I needed an ultrasound to make sure everything was clear. Is this normal in men? How can I fix it? Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The average semen volume is more than 1.5 ml (after 48 hours of abstaining). However, total volume can vary according to the frequency of masturbation. So if you are masturbating at a higher rate exceeding the production rate, then the volume might be low. If you want a...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.