Q. Is it possible to get bald spots with Doxycycline?

Dr. Rabia
Published on Feb 18, 2019

I was taking Doxycycline for three months. After I got a haircut in third month, I noticed that I had two bald patches (it is not actually bald, they were just super thin with a little bit of hair). I got a haircut again today, and the same problem occurred. I am almost positive that the problem is alopecia areata, and I also have the symptom of nail dystrophy (it appeared around two weeks ago). Do you think Doxycycline caused this issue? How can AA be treated, and how long should I expect for my bald spots to have normal thickness again?

Dr. Rabia

Dermatology
#

Doxycycline is Tetracycline antibiotic that can cause photosensitivity and photo-onycolysis (nail dystrophy) but alopecia areata is not linked with this medication. On the other hand, nail problems are common with alopecia areata.

Autoimmunity, drug induced.

Alopecia areata, drug induced photo-oncolysis.

Alopecia areata.

Apply steroid preparation over bald patches BD. Oral steroids may be required in future.

Maintain hygiene of the area, wash with soap and water, use vitamin containing shampoo preparation.

How can I stop hair loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been experiencing a patch of hair loss and it is getting bigger. I had two but the one is gone now. I am very proud of my hair and this makes me emotional.  Read Full »

Why are hairless patches forming in my beard?

Query: Hello doctor, There is a hairless patch forming in my beard. The hairless patch feels smoother. Please help.  Read Full »

I have chlamydia and fungal infection together. Can both medicines be taken?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with chlamydia trachomatis about six weeks ago. After that, I had some discharge and discomfort inside the urethra. They did a PCR test, and the diagnosis was Chlamydia trachomatis. The doctor gave me Azithromycin, I took six pills as a single dose. I still had dischar...  Read Full »