Q. Is it possible to get bald spots with Doxycycline?

Dr. Rabia

I was taking Doxycycline for three months. After I got a haircut in third month, I noticed that I had two bald patches (it is not actually bald, they were just super thin with a little bit of hair). I got a haircut again today, and the same problem occurred. I am almost positive that the problem is alopecia areata, and I also have the symptom of nail dystrophy (it appeared around two weeks ago). Do you think Doxycycline caused this issue? How can AA be treated, and how long should I expect for my bald spots to have normal thickness again?

#

Doxycycline is Tetracycline antibiotic that can cause photosensitivity and photo-onycolysis (nail dystrophy) but alopecia areata is not linked with this medication. On the other hand, nail problems are common with alopecia areata.

Autoimmunity, drug induced.

Alopecia areata, drug induced photo-oncolysis.

Alopecia areata.

Apply steroid preparation over bald patches BD. Oral steroids may be required in future.

Maintain hygiene of the area, wash with soap and water, use vitamin containing shampoo preparation.

|