Q. I am under Doxycycline for burning sensation in my penis but no improvement. Kindly advice

I had a sexual encounter before 11 days. She gave me only a hand release and used her finger on my prostate with a glove on. After a day, I started urinating extremely and frequently. No burning with urination but after urinating, there is a slight burning sensation in my penis, and outside of my anus. This burning occurs mainly while sitting down. I do not frequently urinate anymore, but I still have the slight burning sensation after urinating and while sitting. I got tested for STD, and it was negative. My doctor prescribed me Doxycycline before three days. There is no noticeable difference yet.

#

You have acute prostatitis. This could be due to various reasons including retrograde ejaculation, delayed hypersensitivity to the gloves used or bacterial infection. Was your semen or urine tested for a culture?

No, I do not think so. I had my urine tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea. Will the Doxycycline help with this?

#

No Doxycycline does not cover it. You need better gram-negative coverage. You can get benefit from Ciprofloxacin and Ibuprofen at least, to begin with.

Is this contagious?

#

Acute prostatitis is usually caused by a sexually transmitted disease bacteria or by a bacteria which causes urinary tract infection. It appears that you do not have an STD as you were recently tested negative. This leaves us with a UTI causing bacteria which is not contagious. However, I will not completely rule out the possibility of a delayed allergic reaction. I would suggest that you start taking at least 600 mg of Ibuprofen every eight hours if your kidney function is normal.

Do you think is it necessary that I should go and get a different antibiotic? Or finish my cycle of Doxycycline?

#

Try the Ibuprofen for at least three days. Meanwhile, the Doxycycline will also finish and see how you feel. If your symptoms persist, it is a good idea for you to consult a urologist or at least get a urine culture or semen analysis.

|