Q. I am under Doxycycline for burning sensation in my penis but no improvement. Kindly advice

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I had a sexual encounter before 11 days. She gave me only a hand release and used her finger on my prostate with a glove on. After a day, I started urinating extremely and frequently. No burning with urination but after urinating, there is a slight burning sensation in my penis, and outside of my anus. This burning occurs mainly while sitting down. I do not frequently urinate anymore, but I still have the slight burning sensation after urinating and while sitting. I got tested for STD, and it was negative. My doctor prescribed me Doxycycline before three days. There is no noticeable difference yet.

Do you have a question on Burning Sensation Of Penis or Doxycycline?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS., RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP., MD (INTERNAL MEDICINE) RESIDENCY COMPLETION., DIPLOMATE IN AMERICAN BOARD OF

You have acute prostatitis. This could be due to various reasons including retrograde ejaculation, delayed hypersensitivity to the gloves used or bacterial infection. Was your semen or urine tested for a culture?

No, I do not think so. I had my urine tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea. Will the Doxycycline help with this?

No Doxycycline does not cover it. You need better gram-negative coverage. You can get benefit from Ciprofloxacin and Ibuprofen at least, to begin with.

Is this contagious?

Acute prostatitis is usually caused by a sexually transmitted disease bacteria or by a bacteria which causes urinary tract infection. It appears that you do not have an STD as you were recently tested negative. This leaves us with a UTI causing bacteria which is not contagious. However, I will not completely rule out the possibility of a delayed allergic reaction. I would suggest that you start taking at least 600 mg of Ibuprofen every eight hours if your kidney function is normal.

Do you think is it necessary that I should go and get a different antibiotic? Or finish my cycle of Doxycycline?

Try the Ibuprofen for at least three days. Meanwhile, the Doxycycline will also finish and see how you feel. If your symptoms persist, it is a good idea for you to consult a urologist or at least get a urine culture or semen analysis.

I have got allergic reaction to Doxycycline. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, I had an allergic reaction to Doxycycline and broke out with hives and skin rashes. What can I do to clear it up?  Read Full »
Dr. Syed Shakeel Akthar
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The presented photograph is not hives (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is chronic dermatitis. It has nothing to do with Doxycycline. You need a medium potency Corticosteroid cream like Betamethasone valerate 1 % twice daily for two weeks with an anti...  Read Full »

Can lower abdominal pain occur after unprotected sex?
Query: Hello doctor, My query is regarding sexually transmitted infection. I had unprotected sex 51 days back. I had mild fever with a very mild burning sensation on my penis for three days after that encounter. I consulted a doctor and she gave five shots of Ceftriaxone for five days. The mild burning ...  Read Full »
Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that you have been tried on multiple antibiotics on just hit and run basis. Firstly, you were given Ceftriaxone for five days without getting the relevant investigations. Then you took antiviral medications followed by Doxycycline. You have taken a whole load...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now