Q. How to recover from altitude sickness?

I have got really bad mountain (altitude) sickness before five days. They put me on oxygen and gave me a pill at the airport. I traveled back to sea level and seemed to be recovering. I traveled in a car the last couple of days, and I am now with very little medical support. I have weird chest and stomach pains that were similar to when I got altitude sickness. I do not want to eat. I did have some chicken, rice and water an hour ago to get some energy. I think I got the second stage HACE or HAPE. My face is not swollen. I am worried about my chest and stomach pains. What to do?

#

• The picture does appear to that of HAPE (high altitude pulmonary edema). The presence of a headache, difficulty in breathing, chest heaviness, irritability and stomach pains are initial symptoms of altitude sickness.
  • You have rightly been given oxygen and brought down to a lower altitude, which balances the internal and external pressures.
  • You should be placed on diuretics like Acetazolamide to allow better recovery. Increase your water intake to 3 to 4 liters a day, and you need to rest for 4 hours to acclimatize at lower altitude now.
  • You must get an x-ray chest done to rule out pulmonary edema to establish the diagnosis. As there does not seem any incoordination or dizziness accompanied, then HACE (high altitude cerebral edema) seems unlikely. Just take oxygen, rest and medications.

For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Why am I unable to hear through my right ear?

Query: Hello doctor, All of a sudden, I am unable to hear for the past 10 days. My hearing is less in my right ear and hearing some sound inside the ear. Also, I felt dizzy some seven days back. ENT doctor is telling that it is because of nerve weakness. My audiometry results show that right ear is 80% no...  Read Full »

Is bilateral papilledema a serious one?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was recently seen by an ophthalmologist for loss of peripheral vision in one eye and a feeling of something wrong with her eye, as though it were closed. Ophthalmologist diagnosed it as bilateral papilledema and referred to neurologist for immediate follow up. The ophthalmologist ...  Read Full »

Seizures in a young female. Is it catamenial epilepsy?

Query: Hello doctor, My 26-year-old wife got her first seizure one year ago and she gets the seizure once every month or two although all her checkups are fine with no sign of epilepsy. The doctor put her on Keppra 500 mg and she still gets her seizures and complains a lot of side effects. I am ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Family Physician Now