Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. How to recover from altitude sickness?

Answered by
Dr. Sameer Kumar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2017

Hello doctor,

I have got really bad mountain (altitude) sickness before five days. They put me on oxygen and gave me a pill at the airport. I traveled back to sea level and seemed to be recovering. I traveled in a car the last couple of days, and I am now with very little medical support. I have weird chest and stomach pains that were similar to when I got altitude sickness. I do not want to eat. I did have some chicken, rice and water an hour ago to get some energy. I think I got the second stage HACE or HAPE. My face is not swollen. I am worried about my chest and stomach pains. What to do?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

  • The picture does appear to that of HAPE (high altitude pulmonary edema). The presence of a headache, difficulty in breathing, chest heaviness, irritability and stomach pains are initial symptoms of altitude sickness.
  • You have rightly been given oxygen and brought down to a lower altitude, which balances the internal and external pressures.
  • You should be placed on diuretics like Acetazolamide to allow better recovery. Increase your water intake to 3 to 4 liters a day, and you need to rest for 4 hours to acclimatize at lower altitude now.
  • You must get an x-ray chest done to rule out pulmonary edema to establish the diagnosis. As there does not seem any incoordination or dizziness accompanied, then HACE (high altitude cerebral edema) seems unlikely. Just take oxygen, rest and medications.

For further information consult a family physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Have to interact with people but my fear remains an obstacle. Will you suggest any solution?
My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?
Have You Been Diagnosed With Diabetes? Read This To Know What Next

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why am I unable to hear through my right ear?

Query: Hello doctor, All of a sudden, I am unable to hear for the past 10 days. My hearing is less in my right ear and hearing some sound inside the ear. Also, I felt dizzy some seven days back. ENT doctor is telling that it is because of nerve weakness. My audiometry results show that right ear is 80% no...  Read Full »

Is bilateral papilledema a serious one?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was recently seen by an ophthalmologist for loss of peripheral vision in one eye and a feeling of something wrong with her eye, as though it were closed. Ophthalmologist diagnosed it as bilateral papilledema and referred to neurologist for immediate follow up. The ophthalmologist ...  Read Full »

Seizures in a young female. Is it catamenial epilepsy?

Query: Hello doctor, My 26-year-old wife got her first seizure one year ago and she gets the seizure once every month or two although all her checkups are fine with no sign of epilepsy. The doctor put her on Keppra 500 mg and she still gets her seizures and complains a lot of side effects. I am ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Family Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.