Q. Is bilateral papilledema a serious one?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Published on Apr 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife was recently seen by an ophthalmologist for loss of peripheral vision in one eye and a feeling of something wrong with her eye, as though it were closed. Ophthalmologist diagnosed it as bilateral papilledema and referred to neurologist for immediate follow up. The ophthalmologist insisted the follow up and MRI to be taken immediately. However, at neurologist my wife nervously downplayed symptoms and the doctor, who is overbooked, has her next appointment in two months and the MRI tentatively in four weeks out. Should we seek another doctor? We are concerned that this should be handled more rapidly based on the ophthalmologist reaction.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not get panic.

Papilledema is swelling of optic nerve head due to increase in intracranial pressure. This pressure may be high due to some tumor or blockage of sinuses or idiopathic (without cause).

The investigations required are:

1. Perimetry should be done by ophthalmologist along with recording visual acuity, color vision and contrast sensitivity.
  2. MRI - To rule out any intraocular mass.
  3. MRV (magnetic resonance venography) - To rule out sinus blockage.

This is common in young females and even more common if patient is taking oral contraceptive pills.

• If all these are fine then CSF - cerebrospinal fluid opening pressure is recorded along with CSF cytology.
  • In papilledema, due to idiopathic cause (known as IIH) treatment would aim to decrease pressure by oral tablets of Acetazolamide.
  • Regarding your question, I would suggest you to tell me the visual acuity and reports of perimetry. If these are impaired then you should at least go for MRI and MRV urgently as these investigations will rule out any life threatening condition.
  • If papilledema is due to IIH (idiopathic intracranial hypertension) then IIH is benign in 90 % of the cases.

Revert back with the perimetry reports to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Could you please explain MRI brain and CSF studies related to NPH?

Query: Hello doctor,Can you please give the diagnosis of the uploaded MRI brain and CSF studies with a detailed report? Please advise on the action plan as to how to get the CSF findings treated. The MRI report is enclosed. Does the enclosed report co-relate with your findings? The MRI report CSF studies r...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com. The findings in the report and the images are matching and acceptable (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The term NPH is usually applied in cases where there is abnormal CSF hyperdynamic circulation with gait problems or without gait problems if inco...  Read Full

Can venous aneurysm cause headache?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a 8 x 12 mm sac type aneurysm on the vein of Galen. I am 50 years old and otherwise in a good health. I have had bad headaches and nausea for about seven months. It led MRV and that found the aneurysm. I know the risks of an arterial aneurysm rupturing, but do venous ones rupture? ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a very rare anomaly. Dilatation of entire vein is more common. Theoretically, there is a risk of rupture. But, in practice the most common complications are hydrocephalus and cardiac problems. You have not indicated whether the scan revealed hydrocephalus or not. ...  Read Full

Glaucoma - an Overview of Causes, Types and Treatment

Article Overview: Most people know glaucoma as a disease associated with high intraocular pressure that is pressure in the eye. I have explained in detail about glaucoma, its causes, types, symptoms, investigations and treatment in detail in this article. Read Article

Dr. David J Mathew
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Glaucoma is an optic neuropathy, which is a disease of the optic nerve that generally progresses over time. The optic nerve connects the eye to the brain. The optic nerve damage due to glaucoma is evident in the optic nerve head, the place where the optic nerve is connected to the back of the eye. D...  Read Article