Q. Please suggest medicine for amebiasis.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
Published on Dec 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 21 year old male suffering from chronic amebiasis for the past two to three years. I had tried Flagyl (Metronidazole ), Fasigyn (Tinidazole ), Ciplox-TZ, Oflox-OZ, Bandy and many other ayurveda medicines. But, nothing seems improved. So, could you provide any other drug? Please suggest medicine to be used for amebiasis. I have taken the above medicines for the past one year.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

• What are the symptoms? Which abdominal organs are affected? Do you have any recent radiological or laboratory investigation?
  • Other medication for amebiasis are Nitroimidazole and Chloroquine. If infection is present along with amebiasis, then specific antibiotic needed according to the culture report.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

The symptoms are sticky stools three times per day, back pain, loss of appetite and weakness. The colonoscopy and stool test were normal. But, my doctor told me that I am suffering from amebiasis. Can you tell the brand name of the medicines that you suggested above.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

#

• It is not advisable to start such medicines without consultation as these are not first line medicines for amebiasis.
  • Does any blood test confirmed presence of amebiasis? If colonoscopy was done, then was biopsy taken along with that?
  • Sticky stool and increased frequency of stool may suggest the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease, which can be detected on biopsy.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

What is your opinion about my symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I used to have mild abdominal pain in the lower right part of the stomach. I was diagnosed with PPD six months ago and continued my regular medicine (no ATD). Since then, I occasionally get severe pain at the very same location and it lasts for around 4 to 6 hours. This pain was not regul...  Read Full >>

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please explain if you have any other symptoms, bowel habits (constipation or diarrhea), consistency of stool, blood or mucus in stool, appetite and fever? If you have increased frequency of stool, loose stool and mucus in stool, then there might be possible Crohn's dis...  Read Full

Is it normal to have green stool a day after colonoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I had a colonoscopy and today I had a bowel movement that was bright green. Should I contact the doctor who performed the procedure or is this normal? I am a 32-year-old female.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bright green color stool could be due to the presence of bile in stool. During a colonoscopy, you were given laxatives that might have disturbed your intestinal flora that is responsible for the yellowcolor of the stool. Also, stool must have passed rapidly through the ...  Read Full