iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersMedical GastroenterologyamebiasisI have chronic amebiasis. Can you suggest treatment?

Please suggest medicine for amebiasis.

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 1, 2016
Reviewed AtFebruary 6, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am a 21 year old male suffering from chronic amebiasis for the past two to three years. I had tried Flagyl (Metronidazole ), Fasigyn (Tinidazole ), Ciplox-TZ, Oflox-OZ, Bandy and many other ayurveda medicines. But, nothing seems improved. So, could you provide any other drug? Please suggest medicine to be used for amebiasis. I have taken the above medicines for the past one year.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • What are the symptoms? Which abdominal organs are affected? Do you have any recent radiological or laboratory investigation?
  • Other medication for amebiasis are Nitroimidazole and Chloroquine. If infection is present along with amebiasis, then specific antibiotic needed according to the culture report.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

The symptoms are sticky stools three times per day, back pain, loss of appetite and weakness. The colonoscopy and stool test were normal. But, my doctor told me that I am suffering from amebiasis. Can you tell the brand name of the medicines that you suggested above.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • It is not advisable to start such medicines without consultation as these are not first line medicines for amebiasis.
  • Does any blood test confirmed presence of amebiasis? If colonoscopy was done, then was biopsy taken along with that?
  • Sticky stool and increased frequency of stool may suggest the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease, which can be detected on biopsy.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Kagathara Happy Kumar Devkaranbhai
Dr. Kagathara Happy Kumar Devkaranbhai

Medical Gastroenterology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Medical Gastroenterology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy