Q. Why am I having vomiting with diarrhea?

Dr. Aleph
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 29, 2020

I have been vomiting and pooping (liquid form) since last night, and been feeling really heavy/unwell today. I do not have a fever though. I already took Lomotil this morning and drank water and tea only since last night. Can you please let me know if this is diarrhea and advise me on what medicines to take and food/drink to intake and avoid? Thank you very much and hope you are having a good day.

Dr. Aleph

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

What was your last food intake prior to the onset of diarrhea? What color and smell? How many times have you defecated and estimated amount each episode? Any other people experiencing the same thing? Take one more dose of Lomotil if still with diarrhea of more than 2 episodes. Drink lots of water, preferably ORS. Avoid solid foods for now. Eat foods high in fiber and soft in consistency. Avoid other colored drinks, water and ORS for now.

Please drink ORS, 5 sachets in 1 liter of water to be consumed in 24 hours. For every bowel movement, you should take the same amount. Any other co-morbidities? Any history of amebiasis or typhoid?

ORS solution, 5 sachets in 1 liter of water, volume per volume intake.
Loperamide (Lomotil) 2 mg, take 1 more tablet if with bowel movement of more than 2 times a day. Do not take if less than 2 times a time, may cause constipation.

|