Q. Is it necessary to get colonoscopy for blood in stool?

Published on Oct 30, 2018

I am 27 years old, 247 lb male. I have been having a problem with blood in stool for two years now. Sometimes, I have blood in stool for two or three days and sometimes goes away for months with no blood. For three months, I did not have blood in the stool. Now I started to drive a truck 12 to 14 hours a day sitting on the truck and I started having blood again. I am very scared. I may have colon cancer. My doctor did a blood test on me one month ago including vitamins and minerals and everything came back 100 %. I told her I am scared that I may have colon cancer she said no you do not and you do not need a colonoscopy. How does she know? I have blood in stool for two years now and not in normal shape.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

See it is difficult to say what is the reason for blood in your stools. But definitely, this is not a normal thing. You could be having piles.Actually, piles are the most common cause of blood in stools. That is why your physician must have in general told you to relieve your stress. My recommendations would be to take a soft, and a blended diet. Take plenty of fluids. Make sure you do not strain during stools. If you still have the blood while you are not straining in stools and you are not constipated, you would definitely require a colonoscopy.

Do you think if it was colon cancer my blood would show something? And because I sit driving for 12 hours a day, it can cause that?

#

Long sitting can cause blood in stools if you have rectal prolapse. Blood tests in colon cancer may usually not throw any light. You can go to a nearby surgeon and ask him to examine you and do a proctoscopy. If proctoscopy is normal, then you may need a colonoscopy.

Had Polyethylene glycol before 40 days and alcohol before 7 days. Will I get any adverse reaction?

Query: Hi doctor, I was given with Polyethylene glycol for 40 days before undergoing endoscopy and colonoscopy procedures. I had symptoms of edema and consumed 200 ml of alcohol before seven days. Can I have possible adverse reactions?  Read Full >>

Dr. Vedprakash Verma
General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please explain about the purpose for doing colonoscopy and endoscopy. Edema can occur due to many reasons. It can occur due to nutritional deficiency.  Read Full

Is there any ayurvedic treatment for blood in stools?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male, who weighs 85 kg, and I am 5.11 feet tall. I had a problem with blood in stool a year ago, which got cured after I took medicines. But nowdays, I have been seeing blood in my stool again. I do not have any problem like itching, pain, etc. I feel it very diffic...  Read Full >>

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. According to your height and weight, your BMI (body mass index) is 26.23. Normal BMI should ranges between 18.5 to 24.9. So first of all, you need to reduce some weight. Blood while passing stool may have many reasons. But most common ...  Read Full

What are the causes of constipation and blood in stools?

Query: Hello doctor, I had diarrhea two years back, and since then I had gastrointestinal problems. But, I never had mucous or blood in the stools, so I thought it is because of IBS and did not take any medication. My stool test reports showed no signs of parasites or any other organisms in the stools. Lat...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arvind Guru
General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks a lot for the detailed description of your problem. I think you have the following issues. The blood in stools that you are describing appears to originate from some disease in your rectum or sigmoid part of your large intestine. Few drops of painless blood in sto...  Read Full