Common "Amitriptyline." queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Amitriptyline is an oral tricyclic antidepressant drug. It is used to treat mental and psychological problems like generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), depressive disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and bipolar disorder.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can MRI explain as to why am I feeling lost and confused?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old woman who has been experiencing mental confusion, concentration problems, memory loss, blurry vision, burning sensation in my head, personality change, and short-term memory loss. I forget conversation, repeat questions over and over, zone out when people are talking to...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain is normal, except some sinusitis. I would like to ask a few questions. Since when are you experiencing these symptoms?Do you have a headache or vomiting? Is there any history of seizures or loss of consciousness? How ...  Read Full »

What can cause shooting pain all over the body?

Query: Hi doctor, My problem started with pain in my lower back and buttock, and then it moved to my lateral thigh on both sides. So, it is difficult to sleep on either side. I also started experiencing neck and shoulder pain. Now, I feel pain in my arms, back, neck, shoulder, etc. I do not know what could...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hi, Welcome to It appears that your condition resembles spondylosis, affecting both the cervical and lumbar regions of the spine. This condition involves pain and other symptoms stemming from nerve compression within the spine. The resulting symptoms are typically felt along the path o...  Read Full »

I suffer from severe anxiety issues. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing severe pain in the back of my head and neck region with dizziness since six months now. I went to physiotherapy and took some muscle relaxants but with no effective relief. With anxiety tablets like Amitriptyline, it felt better for a few days but again it came...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through the clinical description and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). My answer to your questions is that we do not have anything to gauge your anxiety with some instrument but it can be detected with a complete history an...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for numbness and pressure in nerves with tingling in head?

Query: Hello doctor, I have numbness, pressure following a nerve path, and tingling in the head while I concentrate more. It has been there for eight years and I have done two MRIs so far and that came back negative.  Read Full »

Dr. Upendra Kumar Shah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your problem but it is difficult to arrive at a conclusion with limited information. Please tell me in detail. Tell me where exactly you have numbness, I mean where in the head, on top on right, or left, or front, or back of the head? Which nerve path do y...  Read Full »

I have constant headcahe where no medicines helped. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having constant moderate to severe headaches for the past four years, and I mean every single day, all day long, from the time I wake up to the time I fall asleep. Nothing OTC medicine has helped, nothing prescribed has helped. I have been told it is just a tension headac...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I would like to know some details about your headache. What is your age? Since when you started to have headaches? Is it four years only or even before that? Where do you feel that headache, in which areas of head? What kind of headache do you feel heavy, throbbing,...  Read Full »

I have frequent headaches and dizziness. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a headache and feel like my head is spinning about two to three times a day. I also feel weak. I have no gallbladder and have acidity. I am currently on homeopathy medication.  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hi. Welcome to To help you better I need to know the following, 1. Since when are you having these symptoms? 2. Is a headache continuous or intermittent? 3. How is your sleep? 4. Ever got your blood pressure checked recently? 5. Any visual issues?   Read Full »

Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause breathlessness?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test recently and my ESR was elevated to 22, while vitamin B12 was low. I have pain in the right armpit and also a pain in the neck.  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your B12 level is low, hence it should be treated with Folic acid tablets and Cyanocobalamin injections. 1. Cyanocobalamin 1000 mcg injections are given intramuscularly for six weeks. 2. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) can be high in any inflammatory condition....  Read Full »

What are the possible causes of my terrible headache?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old girl. My height is 5'7" (171 cm), and weight is 135 pounds. Around five months back, I started becoming extremely fatigued and had occasional headaches. As headache was not often and not bad enough, I never really thought much about it. The fatigue was the worst part. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Most probably it is a tension headache, even if you do not have any apparent stress or anxiety. The type of headache you're experiencing is quite common. It's essential to first check your hemoglobin levels; if they're low, correcting them can be crucial in addressing th...  Read Full »

I am suffering from vulvodynia. Will it go away?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 48 years old and have been in good health. I have not been officially diagnosed, but I think my issue is some form of vulvodynia. Symptoms started as discomfort as if something was digging around my panty line. This went away completely for three weeks. Then again started to get st...  Read Full »

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to This is vulvodynia (chronic vulvar pain) and the most preferred treatment for it is antidepressants like Amitriptyline. Alternatively, topical heat applied with a heating pad can reduce pain in some women with vulvodynia. Local anesthetic as used by you can provide good...  Read Full »

The one with whom I am in love behaves rudely to me and I am so sad. How can I divert my mind?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-year-old woman. The one with whom I am in love sometimes behave rudely to me. He remains silent whenever he dislikes anything that I say. I am a bit outspoken, and I am unable to control this. His silence kills me. I find it difficult to do routine work. I feel so sad and sha...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It looks like you and your partner have different personality styles and deal with conflicts differently. For example, if you are an extrovert, you would like to talk your way through issues. But if your partner is an introvert, he may have an aversion to conflict and ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.