Q. Can the tablet Domstal 10 mg be used long-term to relieve nausea?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar

I am suffering from nausea. I have been taking tablet Domstal 10 twice a day for the past year. All test reports were normal, and the endoscopy revealed a slight hiatus hernia. I attempted to discontinue tablet Domstal, but the condition returned. I get relief from nausea by taking tablet Domstal twice a day. However, I read on the internet that long-term usage of tablet Domstal can cause an adverse effect. Please let me know whether I may use this medication in the long term for my persistent nausea.

#

I understand your concern.

You are most likely suffering from functional nausea syndrome (nausea that originates in the brain and has no explanation in other sections of the stomach). On the other hand, the tablet Domperidone (Domstal) is a symptomatic medication, which means it will merely alleviate nausea while not correcting the underlying brain reflux circuit that produces nausea. You can take a tablet of Domperidone, which is generally safe. Still, I recommend taking tablet Amitriptyline (Amitriptyline hydrochloride) 10 mg at night for at least three months to ease your problems for an extended period, maybe for the rest of your life.

Thank you for the reply.

If tablet Amitriptyline does not work, will taking tablet Domstal be fine?

#

I understand your concern.

The reason for this is that these drugs are not recommended for lifelong use. These are not antihypertensive or antidiabetic medications that can be used for an extended time. Tablet Amitriptyline may help your symptoms, so give it a go.

|