Q. Should I need amniocentesis?

A five month period of pregnancy has been completed for me. I had a screening test for Down's syndrome which came positive with a risk of 1:69. Should we need to do a diagnostic test which is amniocentesis? What will be the percentage after birth if the amniocentesis test is negative (It means that there is no Down's syndrome)? Please see the attached report. Please advice.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Usually, quadruple test is done at 16 to 18 weeks. Sensitivity at 19 weeks is doubtful. Amniocentesis is a good diagnostic test. It will be a confirmatory test, and you can be relieved for the rest of pregnancy. This is the most reliable test. Also, you can do a good anomaly scan by a fetomaternal specialist. They can diagnose any abnormalities if present. Each test has a specific time, and if it is taken at a different date, the result may vary. But amniocentesis is the most diagnostic test. I do not think there are abnormalities.

|