iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersFetal MedicineamniocentesisWill amniocentesis help to diagnose Down's syndrome?

Should I need amniocentesis?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 11, 2018
Reviewed AtOctober 3, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

A five month period of pregnancy has been completed for me. I had a screening test for Down's syndrome which came positive with a risk of 1:69. Should we need to do a diagnostic test which is amniocentesis? What will be the percentage after birth if the amniocentesis test is negative (It means that there is no Down's syndrome)? Please see the attached report. Please advice.

Answered by Dr. Balakrishnan R


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Usually, quadruple test is done at 16 to 18 weeks. Sensitivity at 19 weeks is doubtful. Amniocentesis ( a test to detect fetal abnormalities) is a good diagnostic test. It will be a confirmatory test, and you can be relieved for the rest of pregnancy. This is the most reliable test. Also, you can do a good anomaly scan by a fetomaternal specialist. They can diagnose any abnormalities if present. Each test has a specific time, and if it is taken at a different date, the result may vary. But amniocentesis is the most diagnostic test. I do not think there are abnormalities. Thank you and take care.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Balakrishnan R
Dr. Balakrishnan R

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

down's syndromeamniocentesis

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Fetal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy