Q. In my 18th week of pregnancy, clubfoot was diagnosed. Should I undergo amniocentesis?

Dr. Jyoti Gupta
Published on Nov 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am in my 18th week of pregnancy. The fetus has been diagnosed with clubfoot when I went for an anomaly scan on the 16th week. There is no other anomaly diagnosed so far. Please let me know if I have to undergo amniocentesis to rule out other associated anomalies. If I am not wrong, I have to undergo the amniocentesis procedure before my 20th week. Thanks in advance.

Dr. Jyoti Gupta

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Clubfoot (twisted foot) is not an uncommon anomaly and its prognosis is good. It means, it is correctable in most cases.
  • Amniocentesis is an invasive procedure. If you have already undergone biochemical markers like a dual marker or triple test and they are negative, then the risk of other anomalies is very low.
  • I will suggest you to take a scan from a fetal medicine expert near you.
  • If no other anomalies are seen by him or her on that scan, then just for a club foot amniocentesis is not required.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you very much. This gives me lots of relief. I got a scan done in the best fetal medicine center. There were no other anomalies found. Thanks again.

Dr. Jyoti Gupta

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You are most welcome. Wish you a healthy and uneventful pregnancy.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Is surgery necessary for bilateral moderate fetal hydronephrosis after delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, This query is about my 19 weeks pregnant sister-in-law. She had a USG today and found bilateral moderate fetal hydronephrosis. Her gynecologist told her that the kid will require surgery after delivery. Can you please check the report and explain the situation? Is surgery required? If...  Read Full »

Where to put your penis during sex?

Query: Hello doctor,I recently got married and have a few doubts about intercourse. I am not clear about the vaginal spot. Where should I insert my penis exactly? I had a chat with my partner and she said that it is the spot where the gynecologist tested her uterus when we had a general check-up. Please...  Read Full »

Counseling for Newlyweds

Article Overview: Do not wait until you have a problem to seek marriage counseling. Counseling can help newlyweds with their communication skills, sexual relationship, and much more. Read Article

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Psychologist Counsellor

Most people enter the marriage life with unrealistic expectations of a dream life influenced by some popular songs and movies. But soon their dreams are shattered and their married life gets ruined before it takes off. Ideally, couples should seek premarital counseling before getting married. Howev...  Read Article