Q. In my 18th week of pregnancy, clubfoot was diagnosed. Should I undergo amniocentesis?

Dr. Jyoti Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am in my 18th week of pregnancy. The fetus has been diagnosed with clubfoot when I went for an anomaly scan on the 16th week. There is no other anomaly diagnosed so far. Please let me know if I have to undergo amniocentesis to rule out other associated anomalies. If I am not wrong, I have to undergo the amniocentesis procedure before my 20th week. Thanks in advance.

#

• Clubfoot (twisted foot) is not an uncommon anomaly and its prognosis is good. It means, it is correctable in most cases.
  • Amniocentesis is an invasive procedure. If you have already undergone biochemical markers like a dual marker or triple test and they are negative, then the risk of other anomalies is very low.
  • I will suggest you to take a scan from a fetal medicine expert near you.
  • If no other anomalies are seen by him or her on that scan, then just for a club foot amniocentesis is not required.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you very much. This gives me lots of relief. I got a scan done in the best fetal medicine center. There were no other anomalies found. Thanks again.

#

You are most welcome. Wish you a healthy and uneventful pregnancy.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|