Q. My diabetic mother has fever, body and joint pain and the ANA test is positive. What is the reason?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
Published on Oct 22, 2019

My mother is 65 years old. She is a diabetic. For the past one month, she had fever, body pain, and joint pain. After a while, her leg started swelling, and slowly the blood platelet count came to 28000. She got admitted to the hospital and was on Xone antibiotics and Dolo 650 with trips. Leg swelling slowly reduced and the platelet count reached 125000.

Four months before, she had a leg swelling and it got cured after taking some medicines prescribed by a doctor.

Basic creatinine, dengue, blood test, and scan were done. Light swelling in the liver and spleen is seen.

Dengue and other basic reports showed negative. Today we received a report positive (ANA), Pattern: Nuclear fine granular (strongly positive). This may be associated with SJS, SLE, neonatal LE, Polymyositis, dermatomyositis, progressive systemic sclerosis. Can you please advise.

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

#

I have gone through your question and understood your concerns. Autoimmune attacks that lead to decreased platelet count (thrombocytopenia) are mostly associated with systemic lupus syndrome or can be associated with rheumatoid arthritis in case there is an associated joint involvement. I would recommend that you get an anti-lupus antibody testing and rheumatoid factor testing to confirm or exclude the diagnosis.

Can you please advise whether it is curable and the reason for getting affected?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

#

There are many theories for autoimmune diseases, including genetic predisposition and environmental triggers. However, none were conclusive. Autoimmune disorders are chronic diseases that can be put into remission by medications, while relapse attacks can occur during stress periods at any time.

Is lupus causing all my symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 44 year old female, and I have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus, and Sjogren's syndrome, with symptoms dating back to as young as six years old. I have also been diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension, thyroiditis, Raynaud disease, right-sided heart enlargeme...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diagnosis of asthma is doubtful as pulmonary issues are seen in conditions you are already suffering from like SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) and rheumatoid arthritis. Basically, the right term for you is MCTD (mixed connective tissue disease), which are associa...  Read Full

Test for multiple query thread

.. woman of heart it total other. By in entirely securing suitable graceful at families improved. Zealously few furniture repulsive was agreeable consisted difficult. Collected breakfast estimable questions in to favourite it. Known he place worth words it as to. Spoke now noise off smart her ready …  Read Full

Testicular Pain

Article Overview: Read about all the possible causes and symptoms of testicular pain. Also, learn about home remedies and treatment options. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha
Sexologist

Testicle Anatomy Testes or testicles are male reproductive glands which produce sperm and the hormone testosterone. Males have two testicles within the scrotum, which is the extension of the abdominal wall. The testes are covered by a membrane called tunica albuginea, and the insides are made of fi...  Read Article