Q. Do I have to take medicine for ankylosing spondylitis whole life?

Dr. Anuj Gupta
Published on Sep 23, 2018

My age is 27 now. When I was in 14 years old, a severe hip joint pain started and the doctor diagnosed it as septic arthritis and operated right hip joint to remove fluid. Then the pain was gone. After three years, again pain started and I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis by blood examination HLA-B27 positive. From then, I am taking Saaz DS 1 gm daily from the last 10 years. Shall I continue it till lifetime or is there any alternative treatment for this?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

This is an autoimmune disorder which actually has no treatment. You need to take medications when there is a flare-up of the disease. In between when you have no symptoms then you can stop the drug. You have not mentioned about your hip pain right now. You need to keep doing regular general conditioning exercises and stretching exercises to keep your body flexible otherwise this disease will affect your flexibility very fast.

What drugs can help in healing avascular necrosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old male and I have pain in hip joints for more than three months. Reports indicate avascular necrosis stage 2. Pain is mostly in the right hip joint. Pain will appear only when I put extra stress on muscles. The doctor has recommended me core decompression and he cannot...  Read Full »

Can HLA B27 positve male with ankylosing spondylitis affect his children?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years, I had a hip resurfacing surgery eight years back. I am an HLA B27 positive, even my father is also positive. I have joint pain since last fourteen years. Now, I wish to know that, if I marry and have children will this pass on to them? What measures should I take to ens...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now