Q. Can an anal fissure heal on its own?

Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Anal Fissure or Anti Inflammatory Medications? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

After passing stool yesterday, I noticed bright red blood on the toilet paper after wiping. Now today after passing stool, I noticed a bit of bright red blood on the toilet seat, but not in the stool and a bit when wiping. I am suffering from a bit of pain when this happens, and the bleeding stops quickly after and only occurs again after passing stool. I believe that I either have an anal fissure or hemorrhoids. So my question is, will this heal on its own? If yes, then how long will it take to recover? Is this likely to get worse, or what can I expect over the next few days? Should I purchase Anusol to help it heal?