Q. Can an anal fissure heal on its own?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
Published on Apr 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

After passing stool yesterday, I noticed bright red blood on the toilet paper after wiping. Now today after passing stool, I noticed a bit of bright red blood on the toilet seat, but not in the stool and a bit when wiping. I am suffering from a bit of pain when this happens, and the bleeding stops quickly after and only occurs again after passing stool. I believe that I either have an anal fissure or hemorrhoids. So my question is, will this heal on its own? If yes, then how long will it take to recover? Is this likely to get worse, or what can I expect over the next few days? Should I purchase Anusol to help it heal?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

I can understand your concern.

Your symptoms are consistent with anal fissure. Yes, fissure will heal on its own, provided it will get a proper environment. An anal fissure can be prevented by avoiding constipation. Because constipation will produce more pressure on the inner wall of the anal canal, which worsens the fissure.

I suggest you try taking medication for pain, apply local anesthetic ointment for quick pain relief, anti-inflammatory medication, and sitz bath to reduce the swelling. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medications after their consent. Consult a general surgeon and get clinically evaluated.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I have white debris on the inner side of my cheeks. Is it possible to scrap it off?

Query: Hi doctor, I have white debris on the inner surface of my cheeks, where teeth rub the cheeks and lower lip. Is it possible to scrape off this debris? Today after brushing and cleaning the debris, I had bleeding from my mouth. On examining, I found two fissures inside my left cheek, the whole left c...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms you have described along with pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), point towards a fungal infection. It is mostly candidiasis. It is very simple to treat. However, it must be determined why it occurred. It can be due to stress, other vi...  Read Full

What to do for bleeding piles?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my kidney transplant two months ago. Now, I am suffering from piles. Can you suggest me some medicine?  Read Full >>

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you a donor or a recipient? I suggest you apply Smuth cream (Lignocaine) for pain and take a sitz bath. Does it bleed? Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a nephrolo...  Read Full

What can be done for frequent mouth ulcers?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an oral ulcer problem. I always get big oral ulcers. Presently, I have three big ulcers. Please help me out.  Read Full >>

Dr. Asif Ahmed
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your statement, it seems that you are having recurrent oral ulcers. Well, I would like to inform you that most commonly, we have two types of oral ulcers. Herpetic ulcers: which is of viral origin. It spreads from one person to another and its treatment is Ac...  Read Full