Q. Can an anal fissure heal on its own?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

After passing stool yesterday, I noticed bright red blood on the toilet paper after wiping. Now today after passing stool, I noticed a bit of bright red blood on the toilet seat, but not in the stool and a bit when wiping. I am suffering from a bit of pain when this happens, and the bleeding stops quickly after and only occurs again after passing stool. I believe that I either have an anal fissure or hemorrhoids. So my question is, will this heal on its own? If yes, then how long will it take to recover? Is this likely to get worse, or what can I expect over the next few days? Should I purchase Anusol to help it heal?

#

I can understand your concern.

Your symptoms are consistent with anal fissure. Yes, fissure will heal on its own, provided it will get a proper environment. An anal fissure can be prevented by avoiding constipation. Because constipation will produce more pressure on the inner wall of the anal canal, which worsens the fissure.

I suggest you try taking medication for pain, apply local anesthetic ointment for quick pain relief, anti-inflammatory medication, and sitz bath to reduce the swelling. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medications after their consent. Consult a general surgeon and get clinically evaluated.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|