Q. I have white debris on the inner side of my cheeks. Is it possible to scrap it off?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2021

I have white debris on the inner surface of my cheeks, where teeth rub the cheeks and lower lip. Is it possible to scrape off this debris? Today after brushing and cleaning the debris, I had bleeding from my mouth. On examining, I found two fissures inside my left cheek, the whole left cheek feels sore and also some parts of my tongue feels sore. The bleeding has stopped. I want to know if these are just sore that will heal, or are they dangerous?

#

• The symptoms you have described along with pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), point towards a fungal infection. It is mostly candidiasis.
  • It is very simple to treat. However, it must be determined why it occurred. It can be due to stress, other viral or bacterial infection, decreased immunity, or oral hygiene issues.
  • You must get a thorough systematic evaluation to avoid further recurrence or any other complications. You will have to consult your specialist doctor for antifungal drugs in the form of mouth rinses or tablets.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Thank you very much for the response. Do I need to visit a dentist or a physician for this? It is hard to consult a dentist here for insurance purpose. Can I wait for ten days to ask a dentist?

#

• Yes, you will need to visit a dentist or a general physician for the prescription. I do understand it is hard to get the same in your present country. You can wait and watch the progression of the lesions. If it gets unbearable, you must visit. However, it is not life-threatening.
  • Meanwhile, you can drink cold liquids, such as water or iced tea, or eat flavored ice treats or frozen juices. Eat foods that are easy to swallow such as gelatin, ice cream, or custard.
  • If the patches are painful, try drinking from a straw. Rinse your mouth several times a day with a warm saltwater. You can also apply topical anesthetic gel before meals.

For further queries consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|