Q. I had anal bleeding and noticed black streaks in my stool with mucus. What could it be?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
Published on Oct 20, 2019

About five months ago, my doctor said that I developed internal hemorrhoid (he used an anal scope), and my bleeding was from the end of my anal tract before the rectum. I have been bleeding during bowel movements occasionally. Now my bleeding seems to be very little to almost nothing. But recently I had a bowel movement and saw about two streaks of black stool and it is mucus. I do not think the bleeding is from the intestinal tract because the rest of my stool was normal. I had no pain so far. What could these black streaks be?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

1) This black streak is from previous old episodes of bleeding. This bleeding occurred at the end of the anal canal and got deposited as a clot, which was passed as a black-brown streak with stool.

2) The most common site of this bleeding is anal fissure, i.e., the breach in continuity of the inner layer of lowermost part of the anal canal. This occur due to excessive straining to pass stool.

3) The fissure is a self-healing condition, and the treatment is only for pain. A stool softener can be added to the treatment to promote healing by reducing strain.

Excessive straining.

Anal fissure.

Treatment for constipation.
Treatment for peri-anal pain.

Hemorrhoids are affecting my mood very badly. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an eating disorder before 16 years. It stressed my health very severely for around 5 years. Now, I am 35 years old. Also, I suffer from hemorrhoids, which affect my mood very severely. I have social impairments as my emotions are no longer clean. This is really an important issue f...  Read Full >>

Dr. Youness Tanani
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For hemorrhoids, Tronolane (Pramoxine) is the best, if are external already. But, if are internal hemorrhoids, then need to follow another way of treatment. Losing weight is normal in your case, because you are losing red blood cells by the hemorrhoids. To my best knowled...  Read Full

Could bleeding ulcer be the reason for anal bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in the left side just below my breast all that way to the back. When I go to the bathroom, my stool has blood. It has been bleeding for two days, even without a bowel movement. The bleeding is in my anus. If I drink oregano team, then it will stop. But, will start bleeding aft...  Read Full >>

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern on this issue. The photograph which you uploaded indicates fresh blood in minute quantity (attachment removed to protect patient identity).Fresh blood from the anus on the surface of stool or without passing stool indicates a lesion in the...  Read Full

I have anal itching, pain and bleeding. I am embarrassed. Please help.

Query: Hi,I am approaching you since I am concerned about a situation regarding which I am very embarrassed.  I am a 43 year old female. I am normally healthy. I am 178cm tall and I weigh 75kg.  Around 9-12 months ago, I started to suffer from anal itching. It is rather intense at night, after passing s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your entire history and have understood your concern. I also understand your hesitation in discussing your problems with anyone. Coming to your complaints, the anal bleeding, pain, itching are all due to trauma to the anus and anal canal. The anal canal is physio...  Read Full