Q. I had anal bleeding and noticed black streaks in my stool with mucus. What could it be?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
Published on Oct 20, 2019

About five months ago, my doctor said that I developed internal hemorrhoid (he used an anal scope), and my bleeding was from the end of my anal tract before the rectum. I have been bleeding during bowel movements occasionally. Now my bleeding seems to be very little to almost nothing. But recently I had a bowel movement and saw about two streaks of black stool and it is mucus. I do not think the bleeding is from the intestinal tract because the rest of my stool was normal. I had no pain so far. What could these black streaks be?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

1) This black streak is from previous old episodes of bleeding. This bleeding occurred at the end of the anal canal and got deposited as a clot, which was passed as a black-brown streak with stool.

2) The most common site of this bleeding is anal fissure, i.e., the breach in continuity of the inner layer of lowermost part of the anal canal. This occur due to excessive straining to pass stool.

3) The fissure is a self-healing condition, and the treatment is only for pain. A stool softener can be added to the treatment to promote healing by reducing strain.

Excessive straining.

Anal fissure.

Treatment for constipation.
Treatment for peri-anal pain.

| 

How can piles be cured permanently without surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I thought that I had hemorrhoids because I feel bulge at my anus, that is poking me around my anus, and it is irritating me while sitting, walking, standing causing itchiness though I did not see any skin tag. I am only 19 years old boy and I weigh about 52 kg, my height is 5.4 feet. ...  Read Full »

Could bleeding ulcer be the reason for anal bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in the left side just below my breast all that way to the back. When I go to the bathroom, my stool has blood. It has been bleeding for two days, even without a bowel movement. The bleeding is in my anus. If I drink oregano team, then it will stop. But, will start bleeding aft...  Read Full »

Hemorrhoids are affecting my mood very badly. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an eating disorder before 16 years. It stressed my health very severely for around 5 years. Now, I am 35 years old. Also, I suffer from hemorrhoids, which affect my mood very severely. I have social impairments as my emotions are no longer clean. This is really an important issue f...  Read Full »