Q. I have a male pattern hair loss. Please suggest if Finasteride can help in hair sustenance.

Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 10, 2019

I am suffering from male pattern hair loss for a long time. I had tried saw palmetto for a short duration and got a decent result (as suggested by a trichologist) but did not continue due to lack of information on long term effects. Please suggest if Finasteride can help in hair sustenance?

Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

Can you please upload a few pictures if possible to advise the appropriate treatment. Are you married? If yes, did you complete your family?

Yes, I am married and have a child. I have attached the photos which give an idea of how the hairline has changed.

Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

It is male pattern baldness, also called Androgenetic alopecia (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is an aging process, not a disease, so nothing to worry except the cosmetic appearance.

1. You can continue using 5 % Minoxidil lotion 1 ml twice daily over the scalp. You can continue using Minoxidil till the time you need hair growth without any major side effects, and it varies from patient to patient. When you stop Minoxidil again, the natural aging process start and hair fall will start, which is normal (not a side effect generally many patients think due to the withdrawal of Minoxidil). So you can continue Minoxidil as long as you wish.

2. Coming to Finasteride. If you have completed family and not planning further kids, you can use this tablet. The main side effect is loss of libido, which is temporary, so if your planning for a child stops this tablet at least three months before. Generally, we recommend it at least for a year one tablet daily at night.

Thanks for your advice.

Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

If you are using oral Finasteride, then you can use only 5 % Minoxidil. If you need only the lotion, then you can use the combination of Minoxidil with Finasteride lotion (Morr F lotion). You can get these medications over-the-counter.

My urologist recommended Finasteride for four weeks before TURP. Is there any alternative medicine?

Query: Hello doctor,I will be having prostate TURP surgery in five weeks. My Urologist has recommended daily Finasteride four weeks before to reduce bleeding during the surgery then stop. I am worried that Finasteride has been linked to prostate cancer. Is this true? Is there an alternative medication to r...  Read Full »

I am a 25-year-old male with extreme hair loss. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old male with extreme hair loss. I was on Rogaine 5 %, Finax 1 mg, but losing lots of hair from the vertex.  Read Full »

Please explain the side effects of Finasteride.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old male. I am suffering from androgenetic alopecia since I was 18. Recently a doctor advised me to take Genesis (Finasteride) along with Novophane capsules and to spray Minoxidil. I want to ask whether this is the right type of medication. Also what are the possible side ...  Read Full »