Q. I started having hair loss for three months, and now I can see my scalp. Why?

Dr. Deepti Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am having sudden hair loss, and it happened just in three months. In the beginning, I thought it was a normal hair fall, but day by day, it was getting worse, and now I can see my scalp.

#

Do not worry; I will help you with your concern. See, the most common causes of hair fall in men are androgenetic alopecia and telogen effluvium.

Such sudden hair loss can be due to telogen effluvium. I need to ask you a few questions to make a definitive diagnosis.

1. Did you fall sick or any surgical illness in the last year?
  2. Do you have any stress?
  3. Did you notice that your hairline is receding?

Kindly revert with photos and answers to these questions to provide you definitive diagnosis and treatment accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I was not sick or had any surgical illnesses in the past. I am a bit stressed over some things from the past couple of months. I do not know what it means by hairline receding, and I am very sorry for that. I have attached some photos, and I hope that will help. I will be waiting for your reply.

#

Thank you for sharing your photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is androgenetic alopecia (AGA). AGA, also known as male pattern baldness, is a genetic condition in which progressive hair thinning and hair fall occurs. Hairline from the front and side area starts to recede and hair thinning over the scalp's top. I need to start you on long-term treatment for this, but we need to control this hair fall first. I need to start you on hair multivitamins, but I do not know which brands are available in your country. I will suggest a few.

• Capsule Adgain (L cystine, brewer's yeast, and Calcium Pantothenate) or T-hair fact male.
  • Halobetasol lotion - apply ten drops of lotion on the scalp, alternate night for three weeks.

Follow-up in three weeks.

Stay safe.

|