Q. My mother has anemia due to small intestinal bleeding in diverticulitis. How to increase her Hb?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

My mother have diverticulitis and she also suffers from anemia due to some bleeding in small intestine. Her hemoglobin drops down from 10 to 6 every year. Is there any treatment available as we have to transfuse blood every year to maintain the hemoglobin level?

She is currently taking Getryl, Advantec, Senaz SR, Syngab. She also has done colonoscopy, endoscopy, RBC scan, Barium metal test, CT scan abdomen, and ultrasound.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

The diverticula not usually bleed. Presence of diverticula and having chronic intermitted bleeding are two different things. It is highly possible that she has bleeding intermittently from some abnormal bunch of blood vessels called angiodysplasia. However, it should have been diagnosed by nos after having such extensive work up.

I want you to understand that it is important that the cause of this chronic intermittent bleeding be established before suggesting any treatment for it. For establishing a diagnosis, I want you to share me the information about the duration of the onset of this anemia and upload all the reports including endoscopy, colonoscopy and CT scan, as I can review and interpret the findings over the background of her symptoms. Later she may be a candidate of capsule endoscopy if nothing really helpful to suggest the underlying cause.

This approach will be cost-effective and less troublesome. I can very well understand that you might have exhausted by now, listening to almost entirely different recommendations from all across physicians. But believe me it is also somtimes frustrating for physicians to diagnose occult gastrointestinal bleeding.

Occult GI bleeding. Angiodysplasia. Small intestinal lesion. Diverticular bleeding.

Follow up with all reports.

|