Diverticulitis

Is it advisable to consume alcohol with my medicines?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from the following symptoms. Left lower abdomen pain, constant mushy stools (twice had blood), constant watery stools, heart twitches a couple of times a day, abdomen hurts more when I sit or lay down. I am a chronic alcoholic. I have searched in the internet resources and ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lorazepam should not be taken with alcohol since both can cause respiratory suppression if you over do it. Having said that this is the drug of choice to treat alcohol withdrawal symptoms. It has a short half life, so requires multiple doses in a day. I would suggest t...  Read Full »

What are the signs of diverticulitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with diverticulitis from a CT in February. They gave me antibiotics and for the first time in months, I finally felt good again. Exactly one month later it happened again, and they called me in another round. For years the primary has told me it was just IBS. But I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arbab Muhammad Kashif Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You might be having irritable bowel syndrome which is because of stress you are suffering from. You just cannot think about diverticulitis because of such a low-grade fever (there are million other causes of low-grade fever even stress is one of them). It is good th...  Read Full »

How to increase the level of hemoglobin incase of bleeding in small intestine?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother have diverticulitis and she also suffers from anemia due to some bleeding in small intestine. Her hemoglobin drops down from 10 to 6 every year. Is there any treatment available as we have to transfuse blood every year to maintain the hemoglobin level? She is currently t...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diverticula not usually bleed. Presence of diverticula and having chronic intermitted bleeding are two different things. It is highly possible that she has bleeding intermittently from some abnormal bunch of blood vessels called angiodysplasia. However, it shoul...  Read Full »

Please suggest an alternative test for cardiac catheterization.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having many issues in the last two years. My main issue right now is that I get a weird feeling in my stomach like I want to growl but I cannot. I am having shortness of breath, numbness of hands, tingling and heavy feeling. I feel like passing out and my heart starts to race....  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Control of blood pressure (BP) is must as it may cause these kind of things or you may have a postural drop of BP. Stomach feelings can be due to diverticulitis (infected pouches in the colon) and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). There is a possibility of Stokes-Ad...  Read Full »

How to control diverticulitis pain followed by gallbladder surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a gallbladder operation last year and an umbilical hernia, then I ended up with diverticulitis a couple of months ago. That pain has never gone away. So I went and got an upper and lower GI done and it was clear. The pain is centered in the upper part of my belly and feels ...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Symptoms you have mentioned are indicating towards gastritis or acid peptic disease. Still, I need more information. Why you underwent GB (gallbladder) surgery? You did not mention the GI series report, it was before the onset of pain or after the onset of pain? Is ther...  Read Full »

Why is there pain in abdomen and increased stool frequency after hernia surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 54 years old. Two-year post-RNY (gastric bypass surgery) I have had two Petersen hernia repairs since the surgery. The gallbladder was removed years ago. Yet since this surgery I get these horrible gut-wrenching pains from sternum to abdomen. It seems like the bowels are twisting...  Read Full »

Dr. Vadivel Kumaran S

Medical Gastroenterologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history. The symptoms correspond to cramping pain followed by the passage of stools ten times within four to six hours suggestive of intestinal colic, involving your large intestine. Even your colonoscopy revealed diverticulitis which is the ...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in my lower abdomen when I stretch?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old male. I have gas problem for the past three days. Since day before yesterday night, I have started to experience some pain in the left lower abdomen whenever I stretch or move. The pain is very dull and present whenever there is a movement. Please suggest what it could...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pain in the left lower abdomen is usually related to the digestive tract. Pain in that area worsens on moving may be due to diverticulitis. So, you need to go to the hospital to have an ultrasound done to make sure if you have diverticulitis or not. Then, take antibiotics...  Read Full »

What is the reason for stomach pain and blood in stools?

Query: Hi doctor, For several years my father is suffering from stomach pain. His problem includes blood in stool and pain in left side abdomen area. He has taken ayurveda, homeopathy as well as allopathy medicines, but nothing has benefitted. We did test like endoscopy, but some doctors said it is due to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With your symptoms, there is a possibility of: Colitis, which may be due to inflammatory (inflammatory bowel disease) or infections. Diverticulitis. Malignancy has to be ruled out. Piles (hemorrhoids) may be there. Stool examination for microscopy and ...  Read Full »

I have a harsh pain in the left side of lower abdomen. What is the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female aged 50. I have awful pain in the lower abdomen for four days. I have a pain in the right arm and the left side of lower abdomen. My abdomen is bloated and sore. My bowels are moving. I gave up Seroquel a few weeks ago. I have IBS and diverticulitis.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You have underlying IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), diverticulitis and you are possibly in perimenopausal period. Your predominant complaint is left lower abdominal pain which could either be because of diverticulitis or due to a kidney st...  Read Full »

How can pain on the left side of stomach be alleviated?

Query: Hello doctor, There is a pain on the left side of stomach and lower back and the skin feels sore. There is also burping a lot these days now. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms, it seems you are suffering from diverticulitis. The differential diagnosis is urinary tract infection. This can occur in elderly frequently in people who do not eat enough fibers in their diet. Also with age, our digestive system tends to get slow. ...  Read Full »