Q. After open heart surgery, how long will I survive?

Dr. Rishu
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 43 years old and had a heart attack. 45 days ago, I had angioplasty and a stent was placed. But now, the doctor says that one of my valves needs to be replaced as it is not functioning properly. My ejection fraction is only 30%. Is it safe to undergo open heart surgery now? For how many years will I be able to live after this operation? Can yoga or exercise help me in improving my ejection fraction or valve function?

Dr. Rishu

Cardiology
#

I have noted all your details.

• Valve malfunctioning is divided into three stages; mild, moderate and severe. The treatment protocol of every stage is different.
  • Ejection fraction 30% can be because of the coronary artery blockage. You have not mentioned whether your angioplasty was planned or you had a myocardial infarction (heart attack) for which stents have been placed.
  • The success of open heart surgery and its prognosis depends on many factors. Does your ECG show any bundle branch block?
  • A detailed analysis of your ECG, 2D echo, angiography and angioplasty reports are required before making any comment. Also, you have not specified which valve they are going to replace, either mitral or aortic?
  • People with successful operation can live a normal life with medications and healthy lifestyle.
  • Yoga and other exercises are helpful, but for your case I have to look all the reports in detail before making any comments.

Revert back with the reports to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|