Q. My father has mild chest pain and positive TMT. How long can we postpone angioplasty?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

My father had chest pain 15 days ago. We visited a cardiologist. He is a diabetes patient. TMT was positive. SGPT was 215. Sugar was 143. TSH is 0.14. After doing CT, angiography LAD shows 50 to 70% blockage, LCX shows 50%, and OM1 shows more than 50%. He is taking Metformin, Aspirin, Vildagliptin, beta-blocker, and Ursocaol 300.

How serious is it? Is angioplasty required, or will medicine cure it? How long should he need to take medication? Till how many dates can angioplasty be postponed if required? How many years will the patient survive by taking medicine regularly and healthy balanced diet? Kindly give your opinion.

#

TMT (treadmill test) was positive, so direct angiography should have been done. Why was CT (computed tomography) angiography done? If the patient has chest pain despite maximum medicines, then revascularization is necessary, either bypass or angioplasty, depending upon the anatomy of coronary arteries and other comorbidities. Please send me the CT angiography report. Medication has to be taken lifelong. Angioplasty can be postponed until the patient has no symptoms. Once symptoms develop despite maximum medicines, then revascularization will be needed, either angioplasty or bypass, depending upon coronary anatomy. If well managed with lifestyle modifications and medicines, life expectancy is normal.

Please send me the reports for further help.

|