Q. Is it true that a CT scan would not detect clots?

Published on Apr 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 18, 2020

My roommate is in hospital with chest tightness and shortness of breath. Last week they ended up doing an angioplasty. They had not given him the results of any of the tests they had done, mostly just an x-ray and a sonogram. They found blockage in the Y of the circumflex artery and the left anterior descending artery and put in a stent. He went home the next day. Yesterday, he started to have shortness of breath again and checked himself into the ER at 4 AM; he has been there ever since. They did more x-rays and found nothing in his lungs and another sonogram. For some reason, they are refusing to do a CT scan saying they would rather just do another angioplasty. They said a CT scan would not detect any clots. I find this utterly absurd. I think it is weird that they want to go in and put in another stent without further testing. His troponin levels are also normal. Why do not they think a CT is warranted before they do another angioplasty?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

• You need to understand that emergency need of modality is angiography followed by angioplasty if required.
  • You are right CT scan also known as CT angiography is highly sensitive for detection of clot. Its efficacy is as equal as traditional angiography.
  • However, it is important to go for angiography as emergency mode of treatment.
  • If you could attach his reports as well as his ECG strips, I could guide you better. I hope it helps.

Revert back with the asked details to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

I have attached his complete reports from last week. Kindly go through them. Thank you.

#

I read the complete case history and the reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

• He seems to have coronary artery disease and blockage.
  • In such case, my recommendation would be to go for coronary angiography followed by angioplasty if required.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

My ECG is normal and heart rate is high. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I recently observed that my heart rate (including the resting one) is high. Resting rate is between 75 to 85 beats per minute and an average brisk walking rate is around 115 to 120 beats per minute. When I was unaware, I lived a perfectly normal life with 15 to 16 active hours. However, ...  Read Full »

Atherosclerosis: The Silent Killer

Article Overview: Atherosclerosis is a coronary artery disease which is statistically the No. 1 killer. It is a silent disease, causing us no symptoms, and when it does, it can be life-threatening. Read this article to know how you can prevent this deadly disease. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

The word '-athero' means paste and '-stenosis' means harden. So, atherosclerosis is the hardening of deposits formed inside the blood vessels, gradually building up to obstruct the blood flow in the vessel, and eventually, restricting the blood flow completely. Causes In a healthy person, the innerm...  Read Article

Was my father's death due to pulmonary edema or medical negligence?

Query: Dear doctor, My father died during angioplasty. The treating doctor said that the death is due to pulmonary edema. But we suspect it may be because of a medical negligence. I need a second opinion.  Read Full »