Q. My 6 weeks old baby has ankle clonus. Should I take him to a neurologist?

Dr. Lalit Bansal
Published on Mar 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 28, 2019

I noticed about a week ago that my 6 weeks old baby has ankle clonus. His feet sort of tap or twitch sometimes, especially when he raises them with knees bent like when he is straining to poop or I change his diaper. I am able to reproduce this by pressing on his feet just under his toes. When it is happening by itself, it is only a few beats but when I put his feet in a certain position it sometimes goes on and on. Google says this means he may have cerebral palsy. I immediately took him to his pediatrician who said that this was normal and would go away after a couple of months. I was not able to reproduce the twitch at the office though. She said he is developing normally. He raises his head when on tummy and started to smile back. Still the cerebral palsy connection totally scared me. Should I take him to a neurologist?

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Neurology Paediatrics
#

• Ankle clonus of 3-5 beats is normal in infants. It usually goes away as child grows.
  • If your child has normal muscle tone of extremities, he is obtaining developmental milestone as schedule and there was no concern of injury at birth, then you can rest assured.
  • You should continue with regular pediatrician follow up as scheduled for 2, 4, 6, 9 and 12 months and if any concern arises then he should be able to pick it up during those visits.
  • I do not thing that your child need to be seen by a neurologist at this interval.

For further clarification consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thank you for the information. My pediatrician said his muscle tone was normal. However, if I press his foot as described above there are often more than 10 beats. If it happens by itself there are fewer beats. What to do?

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Neurology Paediatrics
#

• In that case you can have a neurologist evaluation just to be sure that there is nothing else which could have been missed by pediatrician.
  • However, it could still be normal. You would need a physical examination. If any concern arises then go ahead with MRI of brain.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Kindly help me interpret my father-in-law's MRI reports taken following an accident.

Query: Hello doctor,My father-in-law had a motorcycle accident two days ago and has injuries all over his body. He had his CT done today. I am attaching his report with this query. Kindly help me interpret it.  Read Full >>

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The MRI brain report of your father-in-law is suggestive of a soft tissue injury on the right side of the head. But, there is no evidence of injury or bleeding inside the brain. I would like t...  Read Full

What can cause dizzy spells and pulsations in back of head?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 39 years old, severely obese. I have been experiencing dizzy spells and pulsations in the back of my head. The pulsations are severe when I am sleeping. There are shocks in the head occasionally but more while sleeping.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We need to do an MRI brain with MRS (spectroscopy), MRA (angiography), MRV (venography), MRI cervical spine with MRA neck vessels with whole spine screening for evaluation of dizzy spells, pulsations in the back of the head. Obesity or overweight can be due to four main...  Read Full

Do you think that my mom needs surgery for her benign brain tumor?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom was admitted to the hospital due to an extreme headache, clicking sound in the head and high blood pressure. CAT scan revealed that she had a benign brain tumor and no surgery will probably be needed. After making an MRI, another neurosurgeon said she would have to remove it as it...  Read Full >>

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The lesion in the MRI brain of your mom is a small one on the left side. It is very adjacent to dura mater and showing contrast enhancement. This size of the lesion is very less likely to produce a headache by pressure effect. But, it is very important to find the exac...  Read Full