Ankle Edema

I have stomach pain and swollen ankles. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, Since 1 month I have been suffering from stomach problem. Whenever I eat something, I immediately have stomach pain and pass stools. There is swelling in both the ankles. I feel weak. What could be the problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. The stomach ache may be due to peptic ulcer. If the pain increases after consuming food, then the location of ulcer is in the stomach. Hence, such patients hesitate to eat food despite hunger. On the other hand, if the abdominal pain is seen before food and the pain su...  Read Full »

What causes a swollen ankle to turn dark red?

Query: My father, Male, 77 years old with swollen ankle redness of the swollen area has turn into dark red, not diabetic since last check up last year, he had a stroke before and has undergone liver operation due to cancer 8 years back. He has no fever , chills or dizziness. Just pain in the affected area...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello Dear your father may be developed cellulitis or joint effusion ( due to hepatic insufficiency). If the limb is warm means it may be cellulitis so need to start immediate treatment. If it cold at the affected area with no fever then may be eczema or purpura or rash. So 1. Keep limb elevation...  Read Full »

Can you please explain my ankle MRI report?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 38 year old male. I have ankle pain for the last nine months. But, I have no problem in walking. My ankle x-ray is fine. The MRI report summary is as follows: Subchondral cystic changes seen in the medial and lateral aspect of talar dome with adjacent marrow edema and overlying hyp...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have some bone edema and osteochondral fragment. If you just take normal painkillers, then it will take three to four months for your pain to reduce. So, you require a special injection called Zoledronic acid, which is usually used for osteoporosis. It has an addition...  Read Full »

Is hypothyroidism likeiy to cause weight gain, edema in legs, ankles and feet?

Query: Hello doctor, I have gained 50 lbs in the last six months. I have pitting edema in my legs, ankles, and feet, by the end of the day my feet and ankles are severely swollen and the skin feels stretched. When I go to squat down my legs feel like a balloon that is about to burst. My arms and hands are...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your weight gain is most probably due to fluid retention in the body and it is the same fluid retention that is causing edema of your legs, arms, and hands. The cause for this fluid retention could be low protein levels, kidney problem or heart problems. I would ...  Read Full »

I have weird swelling on my ankle. Could it be due to the Renflexis I had before?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 61 years old. I have some weird swelling on my left ankle, and I took photos of it to send to my son. He is worried it is related to a Renflexis infusion I had last week. I have had RA since I was 39.   Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. The edema due to renflexis is an uncommon side effect. If you have leg edema, then it is advisable to investigate as follow. 1. Serum protein estimation to rule out hypoproteinemia. 2. Sgpt (serum glutamate-pyruvate transaminase) to exclude liver disease. 3. U...  Read Full »

Swollen ankles in lower feet with stretchy and tight skin. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom has swollen ankles in her lower feet. The skin is stretchy and tight. When you touch it, it is warm. Does she have edema?  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, she has a sort of edema. It is fluid retention in the ankles. Take less of salts and a low sodium diet. Please get all the investigations done like heart echo and blood tests, kidney tests. You may take a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory as well as it m...  Read Full »

Is my ankle swelling a sign of heart failure?

Query: Hello doctor, Since yesterday, I have been so tired, and I have a swelling in my ankles. It looks like a mild swelling, but I am scared. I have attached pictures of the swelling. Is this starting edema because of heart failure? I had some cardiac enlargement on MRI, but I had normal ejection fract...  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen and reviewed the images which you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like you have mild edema around your ankle. In the absence of any respiratory symptoms such as difficulty in breathing, or other cardiac symptoms su...  Read Full »

My son occasionally complains of burning sensation during urination. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,My son is 5 years old. He occasionally complains of burning sensation in urine. Before five months, he complained of burning sensation, and we did a urine test which showed pus cells 2 to 3 and albumin haziness. The doctor said that as fine and just advise to give more fluids. We did two m...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. First, the puffiness in the morning could be familial if you and his father had the same feature or it could be a sign of edema. To know if he has edema, press your finger against the lower part of his leg. If the indentation fades quickly, the...  Read Full »

What are the causes of swollen ankles and legs?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having extreme swelling from under the breast to the belly. My legs and feet are also very swollen and painful. I have gained 40 pounds in two years with no change in diet or activity. My lower legs and ankles were swollen about a year ago. I went through all the horrible heart test...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Swelling of feet and ankle is known as pedal edema. Edema occurs due to the accumulation of fluid in the tissues. There are many causes of edema. One is congestive cardiac failure or right heart disease. As this progress, it appears in abdominal wall too. Is ...  Read Full »

Why is there ankle edema even after delivery in a heart failure patient?

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter was pregnant and had extreme edema. The doctors said it was normal. As it turned out she was sent by ambulance to another hospital as she went into heart failure, her BNP levels were extremely high and the baby had to be induced. She is now back to her original hospital. The...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the BNP (B-type natriuretic peptide) levels were high, it is probably due to heart failure as you said. For the ankle edema, she needs to be given diuretics (drugs which decrease waterlogging) in the body and fluid restriction should be adhered to. Daily intake shoul...  Read Full »