Q. Please explain my ankle MRI report.

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

I am a 38 year old male. I have ankle pain for the last nine months. But, I have no problem in walking. My ankle x-ray is fine. The MRI report summary is as follows: Subchondral cystic changes seen in the medial and lateral aspect of talar dome with adjacent marrow edema and overlying hyperintensity and irregularity. It is suggestive of stage II A osteochondral injury of talus. No evident separation of the osteochondral fragment or loose body formation. Mild ankle joint effusion. No evident of ligament sprain or tendon tear. Please explain.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• You have some bone edema and osteochondral fragment.
  • If you just take normal painkillers, then it will take three to four months for your pain to reduce.
  • So, you require a special injection called Zoledronic acid, which is usually used for osteoporosis. It has an additional effect of reducing bone edema very quickly.
  • Also, you require additional medicines orally to reform the cartilage of the bone. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and get the medicines with consent.
  • Also, wear an ankle stirrup to support the ankle.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

I had also taken special injection Zoledronic acid and some medicines. I have been getting relief only for a few days and the problem comes back as it is. What to do?

Dr. Lokesh

#

• It will take three to four months time for the effect of the injection to come. Also, you need to wear the ankle stirrup brace all the time.
  • If you are not getting better with this injection in six months, then you will need surgery.

| 

Why do I have pain and swelling eight months after impact injury to ankle?

Query: Hello doctor,Impact injury to right ankle eight months ago, still painful and gets swollen. MRI was done on it. I am 20 years old, 158 cm, and 52 kg. All healthy apart from this. My daily medication is 20 mg Fluoxetine.  Read Full »

Please suggest some painkiller for my back pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female, who is suffering from severe back pain. I am a teacher and have a 7 months old child. When I am at work, I have back pains at the end of the backbone, on the right side over the kidney. I got an ultrasound and an x-ray of the back. And I do not have any kidney s...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now