Q. My ankle is sprained with swelling and bruising, is it fractured?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

I have got a grade three sprain in my ankle while I was playing volleyball about three weeks ago. It has been hurting since it happened, and I thought it was getting better, but it is starting to hurt quite a bit more. It has been swollen since it happened, and it had a lot of bruising for the first week. It hurts on my ankle bone and in the back of my ankle. When I put pressure on it, it also hurts on the outside of my foot. I have been seeing my school's athletic trainer, and she does not think it is broken, but I am not positive, and I am worried if it is fractured or broken. How can I find it? Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

If there is bruising, swelling, and pain increasing gradually, then internal injuries can be suspected, There will be a significant change in movement in case of fracture and it becomes very difficult to move or walk. In both these cases, plaster is required to stabilize pain and swelling.

So first, I would suggest you send me your age and do an X-ray of the ankle, then you can send me the reports and pictures of the affected leg. I will check and let you know.

For now, you can put a bandage on it and walk with support.

Do not put much pressure on it.

Please let me know for further queries.

|