Q. I had a leg injury six months back. When will it heal?

Dr. Arvind Guru

I got a leg injury, six months back. On x-ray examination, they did not find any fracture. But there is difficulty in movement, and the doctor said that the anterior tibiofibular ligament is damaged. I used NSAIDs for a short period to avoid inflammation. I am also wearing crepe bandage. How long will it take to bring back normal movements? Please give suggestions.

#

• From your description, it appears you are suffering from an ankle sprain. It takes around six weeks to three months to heal depending on the severity of the injury. But, it is important that healing is not repeatedly interrupted by repeated injury. If interrupted, it will become a long-term problem.
  • I suggest you try doing the following:
  1. See a good physiotherapist and learn the exercises properly and do them in the correct way. Just not massages here and there.
  2. Learn to do "range of motion" and stretching exercises.
  3. Crepe bandage is not of much use for most people. A proper ankle brace is better if required. In your case, it might not be required after six months of injury.

So, see a good physiotherapist near your home and do the exercises with care and discipline. Hope that helps.

For more information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

|