Ankle Sprain

How to treat an injured ankle that is swollen and painful?

Query: Hi doctor, Before seven months, I sprained my ankle due to a track and field injury. I postponed crutches for a week due to a trip the following day, but went on crutches the next week. I never went to see a doctor. I just went through PT with my athletic trainer. I spent three weeks without rigorou...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned injury to the ankle region, which has been managed by you and your therapist. Essentially, if one is able to ambulate after an injury, this is usually a ligament injury and not involving the bones. But, in my opinion, x-ray of the involved region sho...  Read Full »

Is it normal for an ankle to swell and look bruised after a year of an ankle sprain?

Query: I am having some concerning issues with my ankle right now. I had a sprain ankle in this ankle a year ago, I did not really properly let it heal and have had some minor pain and popping in that ankle. I can sometimes even feel my tendons rub up against my bone. I did not really care until that pain ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, I read your concern.. In my opinion you might have some imbalances due to improper healing of ankle... Leading to loading of other structures around the ankle. You could have shared the scan report to give us more insight of your injury... As it is difficult to conclude what actually could ...  Read Full »

Why do I have a bump on the bone in my foot?

Query: Hello doctor, I am concerned about a bone lump on my right foot in the tarsal area, probably talus, or calcaneus. I am not really sure. It is located on the right side of my right foot below the ankle joint. I am attaching pictures of me pointing at the spot. There is a small ganglion near it but I...  Read Full »

Dr. Firas Arnaout

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity) I understand that you are concerned about a lump in your right midfoot on the outer side. The probable cause is a benign bony prominence. However, differential diagnoses include a...  Read Full »

What the cause of my ankle pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from left ankle pain. I have soreness and it is bruised. Sometimes, it is difficult to walk too. I am also suffering from lower back pain. I feel the pain from my ankle joint to my hip. I have a history of ankle pain, but it was on the right. Before two years, I had an arth...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there are arthritic changes seen in the joint between two small bones of the foot, that is, talus and navicular as well as in the posterior part of the tibia. This is the cause for ankle pain and swelling an...  Read Full »

I have difficulty in walking with swollen ankle. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 78-year-old male. My weight is 80 kg approximately, amd my height is 5.5 feet. During the last three months, I am facing difficulty in walking. This started one day after taking a walk, my feet swelled near the ankle area, this subsided after taking rest. However, after that...  Read Full »

Dr. Renjit George Marcus

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your pain. Did you happen to twist your leg or foot while walking? Do you have pain when you press the ankle? From what you say, it appears to be a neglected ankle sprain or an undisplaced fracture for which you should take an x-ray and see. An...  Read Full »

I have pain in ankles after an injury. Do I need crutches?

Query: Hello doctor, My ankle started hurting last week, and it has gotten worse, it is very painful and uncomfortable to walk. My question is, do I need crutches? I am a girl.  Read Full »

Dr. Santosh-kumar Bashyal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking into your problem it seems you are badly in pain and looking for things can help you walk so you remember about crutches. As simple protocols use simple formula RICE rest, ice compression and elevation of your feet are key sutra. For severe sprains, you might n...  Read Full »

Please help me get rid of pain due to ankle sprain.

Query: Hi doctor,I have chronic ankle sprains in both the ankles. I have this for maybe a year now. I went to PT and have been doing exercises. But, about a week ago, my ankle began to pop. It is happening once in a while. It really hurts and I have to pause for a couple minutes for the pain to settle. Is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hope this message finds you in good health. I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern. I generally see many cases like this in my clinic. I give them a splint, rest, analgesics, anti-inflammatory tablets and ice pack till the swelling reduces to som...  Read Full »

Why do I have extreme pain and unable to bear weight on my grade 3 sprained ankle?

Query: I have a grade 3 sprained ankle. Im male, 5"9, 160lbs. I had severe swelling to the size of a softball the first day, aswell as bruising that started to appear overnight. On day 4 I went to the doctor and got xrays. The doctor determined it was a grade 3 sprain but gave me a projected recovery time ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ranjeet Singha, Pt

Physiotherapist

Answer: Dear, thank you for your query. As per the information provided by you I would suggest you to follow PRICE protocol that is protection,rest,ice,compression and elevation.Also I would suggest you to wear ankle support/brace or tapping the ankle to provide more stability and thus accelerate healing.A...  Read Full »

Please provide a second opinion on the treatment for ankle injury.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother had an ankle injury and she cannot walk. She fell down inside the house while walking and her leg is twisted. We have subsequently taken an x-ray and I have attached the x-ray for your reference. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your mother's x-ray grossly appears to be normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears as a case of ankle sprain. Standard treatment for which is RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation) therapy. It is rest the limb as much as possible, apply...  Read Full »

How to confirm whether the pain and inflammation in ankle is due to sprain or fracture?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband is an active person who plays badminton, football, and running regularly. He also attends the gym. He met with a sports injury in his right ankle. We thought that as a muscle sprain and kept icing. He recovered 80% in two days but used Volini or Oxalgin gel regularly. After so...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have been through your reports. Your x-rays and CT are normal. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The point you have marked indicates the attachment of anterior talofibular ligament. So it could be a sprain of that ligament. Just do intrinsic muscle st...  Read Full »