Ankle Sprain

Why is my sprained ankle swollen with pain and pressure sensation even after three weeks?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a sprain in my ankle three weeks ago. My ankle is still swollen slightly with mild pain and pressure. What is the issue? Please let me know. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. N Ashok Viswanath

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.I understand your query.Repeated sprain over the same area can lead to increased instability and increased inflammation. If you do not have much pain, but if the swelling is still present, you can take an oral and topical anti-inflammatory (over-the-counter anti-inflamm...  Read Full »

I got a sprain in my ankle while playing soccer. Kindly help.

Query: Hi, I sprained my ankle while playing soccer. The ball hit the outside of my foot, causing my ankle to turn inward, and it popped few times. I also landed on it sideways in the same position. They took me to the hospital, where they told it was a moderate sprain. At first, it hurt to walk, but it di...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very unlikely to be dislocated. The ankle joint is a very stable joint, and it will not be dislocated. And, the major fracture would have been much painful, and there would have been an inability to walk. So do not worry, I think it is just a feeling, not an ac...  Read Full »

Why do I have extreme pain and unable to bear weight on my grade 3 sprained ankle?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a male with a weight of 72 kilograms and a height of five feet nine inches. I have a grade 3 sprained ankle. On the first day, I had a severe swelling with a size of a softball as well as bruising. It started to appear overnight. On the fourth day, I consulted a doctor and took X-rays...  Read Full »

Dr. Ranjeet Singha, Pt

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the information, I suggest you follow PRICE protocol. Follow protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation. I suggest you wear ankle support or brace or taping the ankle to have more stability and thus it accelerates healing. Try to move the foot within t...  Read Full »

Will I be able to play soccer after getting operated on for a ligament injury?

Query: Hello doctor, I have several issues with the ligaments in my ankle. I have ankle mobility issues, and I cannot lean my knee forward. I can rotate my ankle only with slight discomfort. I have no problem in walking on flat surfaces but I am not able to run. I have had a scan and have been told that s...  Read Full »

Dr. Suman Saurabh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your injury, and I hope you recover soon. As from history, I recollect the following points a) You feel laxity in ankle joint. b) Pain in sitting. c) Not able to run. d) You want to return to your sports activity soon. It seems that you ...  Read Full »

Is it normal for an ankle to swell and look bruised after a year of an ankle sprain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having some concerning issues with my ankle right now. I had sprained my ankle a year ago, and I did not let it heal properly, and have had some minor pain and popping in that ankle. I can sometimes even feel my tendons rub up against my bone. I did not really care until the pain go...  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your concern. In my opinion, you might have some imbalances due to improper healing of the ankle leading to the loading of other structures around the ankle. You could have shared the scan report to give us more insight into your injury. As it is difficul...  Read Full »

How to treat an injured ankle that is swollen and painful?

Query: Hi doctor, Before seven months, I sprained my ankle due to a track and field injury. I postponed crutches for a week due to a trip the following day, but went on crutches the next week. I never went to see a doctor. I just went through PT with my athletic trainer. I spent three weeks without rigorou...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned injury to the ankle region, which has been managed by you and your therapist. Essentially, if one is able to ambulate after an injury, this is usually a ligament injury and not involving the bones. But, in my opinion, x-ray of the involved region sho...  Read Full »

Why do I have a bump on the bone in my foot?

Query: Hello doctor, I am concerned about a bone lump on my right foot in the tarsal area, probably talus, or calcaneus. I am not really sure. It is located on the right side of my right foot below the ankle joint. I am attaching pictures of me pointing at the spot. There is a small ganglion near it but I...  Read Full »

Dr. Firas Arnaout

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity) I understand that you are concerned about a lump in your right midfoot on the outer side. The probable cause is a benign bony prominence. However, differential diagnoses include a...  Read Full »

What the cause of my ankle pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from left ankle pain. I have soreness and it is bruised. Sometimes, it is difficult to walk too. I am also suffering from lower back pain. I feel the pain from my ankle joint to my hip. I have a history of ankle pain, but it was on the right. Before two years, I had an arth...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there are arthritic changes seen in the joint between two small bones of the foot, that is, talus and navicular as well as in the posterior part of the tibia. This is the cause for ankle pain and swelling an...  Read Full »

I have difficulty in walking with swollen ankle. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 78-year-old male. My weight is 80 kg approximately, amd my height is 5.5 feet. During the last three months, I am facing difficulty in walking. This started one day after taking a walk, my feet swelled near the ankle area, this subsided after taking rest. However, after that...  Read Full »

Dr. Renjit George Marcus

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your pain. Did you happen to twist your leg or foot while walking? Do you have pain when you press the ankle? From what you say, it appears to be a neglected ankle sprain or an undisplaced fracture for which you should take an x-ray and see. An...  Read Full »

I have pain in ankles after an injury. Do I need crutches?

Query: Hello doctor, My ankle started hurting last week, and it has gotten worse, it is very painful and uncomfortable to walk. My question is, do I need crutches? I am a girl.  Read Full »

Dr. Santosh-kumar Bashyal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking into your problem it seems you are badly in pain and looking for things can help you walk so you remember about crutches. As simple protocols use simple formula RICE rest, ice compression and elevation of your feet are key sutra. For severe sprains, you might n...  Read Full »