Q. Is it fine to undergo surgery for ankle fracture after three weeks?

Dr. Atul Prakash

I recently broke my ankle playing soccer. I went to the hospital right away and the doctors set me up and place me in a cast and told me I will have to do surgery. Six days later they told me that the next available surgery date is in the next three weeks. Is it fine to wait that long to do the surgery? Also, when I am lying down I am not in any pain, only numbness in a big toe but as soon as I stand up I start feeling an intense burning pain even though there is no weight on the feet.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

I am thinking that the ankle may have been too swollen to operate and that is why they delayed the surgery to allow the swelling to go down which can take a week to 10 days. Did they not clearly say so? Three weeks itself is a long time I think. It may be a systematic issue rather than the swelling. Yes it is still safe to be operated at three weeks post-injury.

The pain that you experience when the leg is down but not weight-bearing is from the blood rushing into the leg and the resultant swelling makes the tissues tense and painful. Again, this should settle with time or may persist till even after the leg comes out of the cast for sometime.

| 

My ankle is swollen and paining after it got twisted. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I was running, and I fell into a pit. My ankle got twisted, and I could feel some cracking sound. I had a swollen ankle immediately. I have been icing for 2 days and now the swelling has reduced. I am unable to walk. I have pain when I try to move or walk. I had a fracture fibula of t...  Read Full »

Why does one develop swelling after snake bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old female. I got cottonmouth bite on the back of the left and right ankle. Three people saw and confirmed that as cottonmouth. I do not believe much venom was released. It happened under shallow water. I got immediate pain as if repeatedly the ankle and feet got hit with a...  Read Full »

Why do I get sharp stabbing pain inside the bone?

Query: Hi doctor, I am unable to bear weight on my healed ankle. I had a fracture of the same ankle four years ago. This problem has been there since six months. Climbing stairs is a problem. I get pain inside my bone, sharp stabbing pain and some burning sensation. This stabbing pain stays for a week or s...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now