Q. When can pain revoke after bone tuberculosis treatment?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My brother is 23 years old. For the last two years he is having some pain in left hip joint area. He is unable to walk, move and feel dizzy. We consulted many doctors, some said he is having bone tuberculosis and he got treated for that. After treatment, it got cured. But, with changing weather it gets revoked and the pain will be more acute. That pain is not constant; it will come and go. We are unable to understand what the problem is. I am attaching all the prescriptions and reports for your reference. Please help.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I have gone through your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity) and read your history and prescription.

• Your brother has ankylosing spondylitis, chronic painful condition.
  • Waxing waning symptoms (periods of intense irritation that disappears relatively) and the chronic nature of pain are the characteristic features of ankylosing spondylitis.
  • History and treatment revived till now is perfectly elaborated. However, to comment on the treatment, I would like to see x-ray of pelvis with both hips - anteroposterior view and x-ray lumbosacral spine both anteroposterior and lateral view.
  • After seeing the current x-ray, according to the condition I can truly comment on the treatment received, preventive measures and the new treatment guidelines best suited.

Revert back with the x-rays to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

I am attaching the MRI scan of my brother (full body scan) and some reports. Please go through that and suggest the next course of action. Thank you.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I have gone through the MRI images and the reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity) provided.

• They show minimal facet arthropathy and ligamentum flavum arthropathy.
  • Before suggesting any treatment, I want to bring forward a few points.
  1. First, currently you have mentioned hip pain as the main site of pain, but the MRI is of lumbosacral region.
  2. Second, these investigations are three years old and do not truly represent the current pathological state.
  3. Thirdly, no imaging or clinical examination findings pertaining to hip are available.
  • In my previous answer too, I have asked for x-ray pelvis with both hips anteroposterior view and x-ray lumbosacral spine both anteroposterior and lateral view. Kindly follow with same.

Revert back with the asked x-rays and details to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|