Q. Should I get an MRI for hip joint pain?

Answered by
Dr. Sumit Chawla
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

Hi doctor,

Since one month, I have been facing joint pain in my right leg and hip. I consulted a doctor at my native and he said that bone is worn-out at the joint. Again, when I consulted a doctor in my working place, he said that the cause of my pain is arthritis. The pain is not much. I am a 47 year old male. I am currently on Ultracet. Also, my doctor said that he can find out the exact problem only after an MRI. What I suppose to do now? Please suggest me.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Can you please elaborate your problem? Which activities make the pain worse?
  • Are you able to sit cross leg or squat down? Do you have a fever or decreased appetite or any other symptoms? Do you have any pain in other joints as well?
  • If you have x-ray of the affected hip, then kindly attach them.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Thank you doctor,

I am having pain in the hip joint. Yes, I can sit cross legs without any problem. But, I feel little pain when I walk or run. I do not have fever or other issues. There is no pain in other joints. The pain will be more when I stand for a long time and will subside with rest. I do not have any medical issues such as BP or sugar. I am using Ultracet only for the past five days and I am not on any other medication.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Thank you for posting your x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • You seem to have osteoarthritis, but the x-ray is not clear. There is a possibility of avascular necrosis of hip with secondary osteoarthritis and for which your doctor has recommended an MRI scan.
  • My advice is same and I agree with your doctor for getting the MRI scan and confirmation of the condition.
  • The second possibility is of transient osteoporosis of the hip and for this condition too MRI scan is required.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Apart from surgery what are the treatment options for AVN of hip?

.. for using this platform. From the information you provided, it seems like you have stage 3 avascular necrosis (AVN). While there are numerous causes for AVN and often there is no identifiable cause, the prognosis is not very favorable once you re...   Read full

My father is having continuous hip pain. How to evaluate this?

.. two possibilities, joint pain or nerve pain like sciatica. There can be multiple problems in the joint like age-related degeneration or arthritis, so we need to evaluate. What kind of pain is it? Is it a burning or pins and needles kind of pain? ...   Read full

What drugs can help in healing avascular necrosis?

You can walk but do not exercise or do physiotherapy ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

7 Days COVID Care
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 vaccines can be a real lifesaver. Read this to know the answers to the common questions and doubts on COVID-19 ...  Read more»
Female Sexual Arousal Disorder: Break the Shackles and Seek Help!!
This article throws light on Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder, a common but least discussed sexual health topic a...  Read more»
Covaxin Vs Covishield
The coronavirus vaccines, Covaxin and Covishield, have received a green signal for restricted emergency use in India. In...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.