Q. Should I get an MRI for hip joint pain?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

Since one month, I have been facing joint pain in my right leg and hip. I consulted a doctor at my native and he said that bone is worn-out at the joint. Again, when I consulted a doctor in my working place, he said that the cause of my pain is arthritis. The pain is not much. I am a 47 year old male. I am currently on Ultracet. Also, my doctor said that he can find out the exact problem only after an MRI. What I suppose to do now? Please suggest me.

#

• Can you please elaborate your problem? Which activities make the pain worse?
  • Are you able to sit cross leg or squat down? Do you have a fever or decreased appetite or any other symptoms? Do you have any pain in other joints as well?
  • If you have x-ray of the affected hip, then kindly attach them.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I am having pain in the hip joint. Yes, I can sit cross legs without any problem. But, I feel little pain when I walk or run. I do not have fever or other issues. There is no pain in other joints. The pain will be more when I stand for a long time and will subside with rest. I do not have any medical issues such as BP or sugar. I am using Ultracet only for the past five days and I am not on any other medication.

#

Thank you for posting your x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You seem to have osteoarthritis, but the x-ray is not clear. There is a possibility of avascular necrosis of hip with secondary osteoarthritis and for which your doctor has recommended an MRI scan.
  • My advice is same and I agree with your doctor for getting the MRI scan and confirmation of the condition.
  • The second possibility is of transient osteoporosis of the hip and for this condition too MRI scan is required.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|