Q. Should I get an MRI for hip joint pain?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

Since one month, I have been facing joint pain in my right leg and hip. I consulted a doctor at my native and he said that bone is worn-out at the joint. Again, when I consulted a doctor in my working place, he said that the cause of my pain is arthritis. The pain is not much. I am a 47 year old male. I am currently on Ultracet. Also, my doctor said that he can find out the exact problem only after an MRI. What I suppose to do now? Please suggest me.

#

• Can you please elaborate your problem? Which activities make the pain worse?
  • Are you able to sit cross leg or squat down? Do you have a fever or decreased appetite or any other symptoms? Do you have any pain in other joints as well?
  • If you have x-ray of the affected hip, then kindly attach them.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I am having pain in the hip joint. Yes, I can sit cross legs without any problem. But, I feel little pain when I walk or run. I do not have fever or other issues. There is no pain in other joints. The pain will be more when I stand for a long time and will subside with rest. I do not have any medical issues such as BP or sugar. I am using Ultracet only for the past five days and I am not on any other medication.

#

Thank you for posting your x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You seem to have osteoarthritis, but the x-ray is not clear. There is a possibility of avascular necrosis of hip with secondary osteoarthritis and for which your doctor has recommended an MRI scan.
  • My advice is same and I agree with your doctor for getting the MRI scan and confirmation of the condition.
  • The second possibility is of transient osteoporosis of the hip and for this condition too MRI scan is required.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

Can a woman with osteoporosis conceive?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old married female. I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am really worried whether I would be able to conceive or not. Please suggest me some advice.  Read Full »

Ayurvedic Approach to Osteoporosis

Article Overview: The bones become weak and brittle in osteoporosis, that even minor injury leads to fracture. Anyone can develop osteoporosis but it is very common among women over the age of 50 years. Read Article

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Osteoporosis is a degenerative bone disorder. In this disorder, the density of bone is decreased leading to bone weakness and fractures. What Causes Osteoporosis? Low levels of calcium, phosphorous and vitamin D. In menopausal woman, due to lack of oestrogen osteoporosis occurs. A...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now