Q. Am I suffering from colon or rectal cancer?

Dr. Bhavin Bhupendra Vasavada
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

I am a 47 year old female. My weight is 95 kg. My symptoms are blood in stools and stomach bloating. Initially, we suspected piles. But, the doctor said it may be colon or rectal cancer. Colonoscopy, blood tests and CT scan are done and I have attached the reports for your reference. I would like to know the actual problem. How serious is it?

#

• This is quite serious. I would like to wait for biopsy results, but looks like anorectal cancer. But, luckily it is well within a curative stage.
  • You can have either direct surgery or chemotherapy followed by surgery. Chance of recurrence of the tumor is relatively low in chemotherapy followed by surgery.
  • In surgery, most of the time we can avoid permanent stoma. In your case, the requirement depends upon the clinical examination. Surgery is quite safe and curative, so you should go ahead.

For further information consult a surgical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

| 

Why is my stomach bloated after laparoscopy?

Query: Hi doctor,Five days ago, I had a laparoscopy. I am wondering when the bloated hard tummy will go away. I am worried that it has not subsided yet. Is this normal?  Read Full »

Please suggest safe painkillers for toothache.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having pain inside my mouth. At the top of my mouth, it is like a bubble and so painful. The nerves are making me having a toothache on the right side of my mouth. I have had this for three days now and took a few painkillers. Now, my stomach hurts like bloating and twitching....  Read Full »

My father has severe diarrhea after chemotherapy for colon cancer. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 43 years old father has colon cancer. He had undergone hemicolectomy laparoscopic surgery, and he is currently undergoing chemotherapy with Xelox (Oxaliplatin and Capecitabine). I am here to ask you about the side effects of chemo that my father is experiencing from the first cycle...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Surgical Gastroenterologist Now