Q. Is it normal to have bloated stomach after laparoscopy?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
Published on Nov 16, 2016

Five days ago, I had a laparoscopy. I am wondering when the bloated hard tummy will go away. I am worried that it has not subsided yet. Is this normal?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• This operative process involves infusion of CO2 gas into the abdomen, which is needed to distend the abdominal wall for proper visualization purpose.
  • We usually expel the gas after the procedure, but some portion could remain trapped inside. This might cause a bloating sensation until and unless it gets absorbed fully.
  • This is so common and basically will need 7 to 10 days to resolve
  • Also, do you have a good bowel movement following the operation? A regular bowel movement will help you to resolve the problem earlier.
  • So, do not worry. Take plenty of water and some laxatives for good bowel movement, if you need so.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Should I undergo a tubal laparoscopy or would a HSG suffice?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a one-day period during my last menstrual cycle. After 14 days, I had pink spotting for three days. Then it turned to a brown discharge and then a normal bleeding like my menstruation. All this went on for 10 days. Today, the bleeding is very light. I am trying to conceive. My gyn...  Read Full »

Can robotic-assisted partial laparoscopy be done on obese patients?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is obese and requires a robotic-assisted partial laparoscopy. I am worried about his weight 294, height 71 inches and how pneumoperitoneum may affect him during surgery. Currently, he is on Lisinopril 10 mg. There is a possibility of RCC on left kidney 2.5 cm.  Read Full »