Q. Is it normal to have bloated stomach after laparoscopy?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2020

Five days ago, I had a laparoscopy. I am wondering when the bloated hard tummy will go away. I am worried that it has not subsided yet. Is this normal?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• This operative process involves infusion of CO2 gas into the abdomen, which is needed to distend the abdominal wall for proper visualization purpose.
  • We usually expel the gas after the procedure, but some portion could remain trapped inside. This might cause a bloating sensation until and unless it gets absorbed fully.
  • This is so common and basically will need 7 to 10 days to resolve
  • Also, do you have a good bowel movement following the operation? A regular bowel movement will help you to resolve the problem earlier.
  • So, do not worry. Take plenty of water and some laxatives for good bowel movement, if you need so.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 
thank you. yes I'm taking laxatives. still look 4 months pregnant and it is almost a week after. he also did a d and c so could that cause the hard bloat as well. if the bloating doesn't go away in a certain time frame should I be worried

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Hello,
I presume this will be resolved over the time and do not get confused with your preexisting body fat with a postoperative swelling.
However, just wait for few days more and walk, drink and take adequate rest.
Lastly, any medicine taken this time, can cause bloating and keep this in mind while assessing your problem.

|