Q. Is it normal to have bloated stomach after laparoscopy?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

Before five days, I had a laparoscopy. I am scared regarding my hard-bloated tummy. Will it go away? Is this normal?

#

This operative process involves the infusion of CO2 (carbon dioxide) into the abdomen. It is needed to distend the abdominal wall for having a proper visualization. We usually expel some gas after the procedure but some portion can remain trapped inside. This can cause a bloating sensation until it gets absorbed fully. This is common and it takes a time of seven to ten days to get resolved. Please mention whether you have a good bowel movement after the operation. Regular bowel movement helps to resolve the problem. If not, take plenty of water and laxatives for having good bowel movements.

I am taking laxatives for more than a week. Still, I do not have any relief from this bloating. Do I need to be worried?

#

This will get resolved with time. Try to wait for few days. Have a walk and drink plenty of fluids. Take adequate rest. Lastly, any medicine taken in this condition can cause bloating and so please wait.

|