Q. Which anticoagulant is best to prevent stroke- Apixaban or Dabigatran?

Answered by Dr. Kks and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Inr or Warfarin? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My mum has had an ischemic stroke. She is currently taking Warfarin, Bisoprolol, Ramipril, and Furosemide. Despite the Warfarin at 5 mg, her INR is 1.7 (that is outside the therapeutic range). She is 41 kg and age is 76. She is being encouraged by her doctor to change the anticoagulant. Please advise, given her age and weight and the most current research, which one would be best for her to move on to - Apixaban or Dabigatran. Which dose should she be on? Please give your reasons why. Thank you for your help with this.