Q. Which anticoagulant is best to prevent stroke- Apixaban or Dabigatran?

Dr. Kks
Published on Jul 06, 2018

My mum has had an ischemic stroke. She is currently taking Warfarin, Bisoprolol, Ramipril, and Furosemide. Despite the Warfarin at 5 mg, her INR is 1.7 (that is outside the therapeutic range). She is 41 kg and age is 76. She is being encouraged by her doctor to change the anticoagulant. Please advise, given her age and weight and the most current research, which one would be best for her to move on to - Apixaban or Dabigatran. Which dose should she be on? Please give your reasons why. Thank you for your help with this.

Dr. Kks

General Medicine Hematology Internal Medicine
#

As per the history, it looks like it is getting difficult to manage with Warfarin. Warfarin is notorious in terms of interacting with many other drugs and thereby it is difficult to achieve the target therapeutic level. So, now newer oral anticoagulants are used with no need of monitoring and without any excess risk of bleeding as compared to Warfarin. There are various papers to confirm that newer oral anticoagulants (NOACs) are safe and effective compared to Warfarin.

So, once we decide that we are switching to NOACs, then we have to see which one is best out of them. For that also, there have been various studies done recently. When we compare, we see two things:

1. Whether the drug is effective or not, it means it should prevent stroke.
  2. It should not cause any excess bleeding as well. As they are blood thinners, the risk will always be there.

All the studies will mention these two facts while comparing the drugs. Most of them have quoted that Apixaban as equivalent to other drugs in terms of effectiveness (that is preventing the stroke) and better in terms of side effects (that is lesser risk of excess bleeding).

Regarding the dose, different studies have quoted 2.5 mg BD versus 5 mg BD. So, this will depend on your doctor and his experience with the dose commonly used in your country.

My suggestion is to move to newer oral anticoagulants with a slight inclination towards Apixaban based on the current data.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

What are the chances of bleeding from a sudden blow if I am on blood thinners?

Query: Hello¬†doctor, I am on warfarin for life. Yesterday, while I was working in my house, I knocked the upper back part of my head on the marble roof of the window pane. It was neither a hard blow nor a soft one. It was medium. I did not feel any pain. I did not have any blackout but was stunned for two...  Read Full >>

Dr. Chirag Solanki
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I would like to know the indication for which you were prescribed Warfarin. Secondly, 3.73 is a higher INR (international normalized ratio) than normally desired which usually is between 2 to 2.5 or 2.5 to 3 according to indications, in most of the cases. Now,...  Read Full

How to recover from blood clot in brain?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is in ICU since 48 to 50 hours. Blood clot has formed in vein of the brain. His right side of the body is not functioning. Doctors are saying that he is recovering, but very slowly. Please give your opinion.  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A stroke is an abrupt deprivation of the blood flow to the brain due to a blockage or the rupture of a blood vessel in the brain. Acute ischemic stroke is caused by thrombotic or embolic occlusion of a cerebral artery and is more common than hemorrhagic stroke. In your...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now