Q. My depression medications are causing problems in achieving orgasm. Is this temporary?

I am a 51 year old house wife married since 24 years. I am healthy and maintain a normal life and do my routine household work every day. I do yoga for one hour regularly under a trainer. Though I am yet to have my menopause, I have been experiencing the symptoms of menopause like hot flushes, casual anxiety, occasional depression, insecurity, etc., for the past four months. I am taking medicine Clonil 25 mg for treating anxiety and depression as per the advice of my doctor. Off late, since the last two months, I am experiencing orgasmic dysfunction. Though there is no reduction in my sexual desire, I am not able to reach climax. I want to know if this is normal. Is this temporary? Is there any treatment that I should undergo to achieve orgasm during sex. Please advise.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• First of all, I would like to inform you that it cannot be considered normal and it is probably the side effect of the medication. Clonil (Clomipramine) is a well-established cause for delayed ejaculation in men and the same can be expected for females as in your case. However, I would like to comment that it is temporary and the withdrawal of medication, a reduction of dose or the passage of time may help you in regaining orgasm.
  • Regarding the anxiety treatment, as stated above, not everybody requires treatment. In case it is too much, then the option of changing the medication can be explored. There are multiple medications which can be used instead of Clonil. I often use Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine), Effexor (Venlafaxine), Milnacipran in such cases and get good results.
  • However, I must acknowledge that every medication has pros and cons and it should be used after a thorough discussion.

I hope this answers you. Feel free to write back to me or book a consultation if you have more questions.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|