Q. Can antipsychotics be taken as precaution?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Jan 15, 2020

I would really like to try LSD just as a matter of curiosity, I am aware of all the risks and side effects as well as having no known history of mental illness in my family and I am a happy person with no depression or anything like that. While I believe the risk for me personally to be very low I would still like to be safe hence my question. Do you think if I went to my GP and told them what I wanted to do, do you think there is a chance of even getting 1 pill of an antipsychotic to kill the effects in case things go downhill. Obviously I know the best thing is to not do it at all but if you had a patient come to you and ask you what would you say?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

You have raised a very interesting query. Well done for seeking information on safety. I see that you are keen on experimenting with LSD and knowing the risks involved you want to make an informed decision. LSD trips/psychdelic experiences by using street drugs are unpredictable and difficult to speculate the outcome. Hence it is not advisable to try it. It is highly unlikely your GP or any other doctor will prescribe an antipsychotic prophylactically just incase you have a bad trip. Antipsychotics are powerful medication and can cause side effects on their own, so needs to be used with caution when necessary after appropriate examination. Moreover, if you develop any altered mental state that persists after using LSD you will need a proper medical evaluation.

| 

There is no improvement even after taking psychiatric treatment. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,My brother is undergoing psychiatric treatment form last 10 years. He is being advised a few medicines which he is taking from last so many years. I see his condition getting worse. I need help and a second opinion.  Read Full »

Why is there no libido even after stoppage of Risperdal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old male with height 180 cm, and weight 85 kg. I always been healthy. I do not have symptoms of depressions. I took Risperdal to treat minor vocal tics, and I have OCD. Now I have been off Risperdal for five months and still no libido, no sex drive. I searched for post-...  Read Full »

Bipolar Disorder - Causes, Symptoms, Types, and Treatment

Article Overview: Bipolar disorder is a common mental illness that includes unusual emotionally low (depression) or high (mania, hypomania) behavior. Learn about its causes, symptoms, types, risk factors, and treatment. Read Article

Dr. Shaiza Hashmi

What Is Bipolar Disorder? Bipolar disorder, commonly known as manic depression, is a common psychiatric issue. Its presentation is usually chameleon-like, therefore it is difficult to diagnose. It comprises of mania, hypomania, and depression. Mania - Mania is a period of abnormally and persis...  Read Article