Q. Why is there no improvement even after taking psychiatric treatment?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
Published on Oct 08, 2018

My brother is undergoing psychiatric treatment form last 10 years. He is being advised a few medicines which he is taking from last so many years. I see his condition getting worse. I need help and a second opinion.

#

He is suffering from schizophrenia as per your history. He is taking antipsychotics. Schizophrenia is a progressive disorder which leads to cognitive impairment. I am sorry but there are medications which can only control the disease but cannot cure. You can try different antipsychotic medications if he is worsening. He can take tablet Clonazapine if he is worsening on medication or can post on ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) therapy if severe behavior problem. it is sure that he has to take medication for lifelong.

How to handle a schizoaffective disorder patient? What are the best treatment options?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother is 37 years old. He is suffering from schizophrenia or schizoaffective (confused) disorder for the last three and a half years. The symptoms are an auditory hallucination, delusion, aggression, speaking to himself, grandiosity, and racing thoughts. Initially, for one and a ...  Read Full »

Can weed smoking cause schizophrenia?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been dealing with anxiety since childhood. I am 22 years old now. I have been smoking weed for about six months and my quality of life drastically improved. Now, I could sleep at night. I went back to being myself happy. My confidence went up and my social anxiety virtually disappe...  Read Full »

Is it true that schizophrenia runs in family?

Query: Hi doctor, My boyfriend's father has schizophrenia. What are the odds that my boyfriend or my future child would get the disorder? Is it risky to marry him? Please help. I am confused.  Read Full »