Q. I did not get periods after taking medicines for schizophrenia and anxiety. What to do?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 24, 2022

Previously, I was prescribed Solian 50 mg and Lorans 1 mg to treat schizophrenic thoughts and anxiety. I was stable on taking it. After a few months, I do not have my periods and my doctor prescribed me Abilify 5 mg and Lorans 1 mg. After changing medications, I start to wake up at night and sleep for little time at night. I become more anxious than before. I feel uncomfortable while taking talking with others. Yesterday, I took Solian instead of Abilify. Can I continue taking Solian? Does the absence of periods affect my life? Do I need to take a high dose of Abilify? or Do I need a low dose of Solian 50 mg? Is it fine to take it?

#

The absence of periods will not affect you. Once when you stop taking antipsychotics, then your periods will get started in the future. It is a subjective effect of medication. If you are stable on Solian (Amisulpride), then it is better to continue taking that medication. You will become better soon. You do not need to shift on to other medication unless you really need it. You do not need to start Abilify (Aripiprazole) if you are stable on Solian.

I am still skeptical due to the absence of periods without any side effects physically. Is it good to become pregnant in this condition? I took Abilify 5 mg, Lorans 1 mg, and Lexipro 5 mg today morning. I felt better in the morning and afternoon. Is it advisable to use Lexipro along with Abilify?

#

You should not try for pregnancy while taking medications. It causes problems in children. It is fine to take Lexipro (Escitalopram) along with Abilify. It will not cause harm. But you should try to take Loran 1 mg (Lorazepam) as per requirement.

It is my second day. I took Abilify 5 mg, Lexipro 5 mg, and Lorans 1 mg this morning. But I feel very sleepy today. Can I take Lexipro 10 mg instead of 5 mg? Can I take Lorans 0.5 mg? Does Abilify 5 mg and Lexipro 10 mg are considered as a low dose? I want to take a low dosage as much as possible. Please suggest.

#

I understand your situation. You feel sleepy after taking Lorans in the day time. You should not focus on the dose of medication and you should focus on the improvement. You can take the amount of dose on which you feel better. You should take Lexipro 5 mg and Abilify 5 mg daily. If you still feel bad, then you can increase the dose of Lexipro from 5 mg to 10 mg. You can take Lorans 0.5 mg when you have severe anxiety. Usually, Lorans will make you sleepy. You can take Clonazepam 0.5 mg instead of Lorans as it is less sedative.

|