Q. How can I cure my day-to-day anxiety?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I am 29 years old male. I was suffering from rumination, anxiety, depression, hopelessness and had a panic attack 10 months back due to problems in my career, loneliness and some problems at home all at the same time. I consulted a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with mild depression and OCD 10 months back. He started with Sertraline, but it did not suit me. So, he shifted me to Paroxetine, beginning with 12.5 mg and gradually to 50 mg. As of now, I am on 50 mg Paroxetine and 7.5 mg Tetrafol for four months. Almost 90% of my symptoms are cured and I am no longer feeling depressed. The only problem is that I am still suffering from anxiety which is seriously hampering my studies and concentration. I have borderline high TSH.

I also suffer from mood swings, e.g., sometimes I feel very good and confident, but at other times I feel very low and full of anxiety. I want my anxiety to be cured, and the drug should be such that it does not induce sleep as I have to study for long hours. Here I must tell you that I eat healthy food, fruits, nuts and regularly do exercise so such suggestions will not solve my problem. My major concern is the day-to-day anxiety which is hampering my studies, and I want that to be cured.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

Now your main concern is anxiety. There are few options available such as increasing the dose of Paroxetine CR to 75 mg or adding Propranolol or Buspirone. You can try any of the options. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medications with their consent.

Another thing is that you need to do regular exercise, progressive muscle relaxation techniques or yoga, as these things improve your mood as well as induces relaxation thus decreasing anxiety.

Also, try to feel the anxiety and do not react to that, live in present moment. By doing this, you will be better able to tolerate anxiety.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Please let me know the dosage of Propranolol or Buspirone?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

#

Propranolol to start with 20 mg or Buspirone 5 to 10 mg.

|