Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. How to overcome my mood swings and change my behavior?

Answered by
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 13, 2017

Hi doctor,

I often feel very low, anxious, and stressed. I try diverting myself, but I still get into a trance, where I feel sad. I am afraid of losing people, and keep thinking about what they think and how they feel. Even though they are not worthy of my sorry at times, I still apologize out of fear. Sometimes, I feel like I have got multiple personalities. I feel sad for a period, and then later feel exhausted, dull, drowsy and feel my mind go numb. I always feel that something is missing, and I feel uncomfortable. I do not know how to be normal with people. I had the same problem earlier in my life. I feel lonely, and I am not confident. I feel like being alone, but I cannot bear the silence.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology


Welcome to

I can understand your concern.

  • I do not think these are symptoms of multiple personalities. Your main symptoms are related to mood like low mood, feeling bad at times, and anxiousness.
  • Fear of losing people is also related to depression. Your behavior to say sorry despite no mood but due to fear of losing people is also a part of depression. Mood swings are resulting in a rapid shift in your behavior.
  • Please do not remain distressed. These symptoms could be treated easily with medicine and cognitive therapy. SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) drugs like Fluoxetine, Escitalopram, Paroxetine, etc., can be used for depression and anxiety. Regular use of these drugs will help to reduce anxiety and depression symptoms. These drugs are safe to use and have no serious side effects.

So, please talk to a psychiatrist for evaluation and prescription of the drugs. Thanks and take care.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

Can you suggest the name of the medicine and the dosage, so it will be easy to consult a local doctor for the prescription? How do I overcome my mood swings and change my behavior?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology


Welcome back to

I can suggest you the medicines, and you can visit your local doctor for the prescription.

  • Considering your symptoms, in my opinion, Escitalopram will be best suited for you. I suggest starting with 5 mg dose for two weeks once daily after breakfast and increase the dose to 10 mg after two weeks. This will help to control your symptoms.
  • Try to ignore all negative things and give importance to positive things of others. Find the positive qualities of yourself and try to appreciate these qualities of yours.
  • Keep one thing in mind that you are most important thing for you. You have to keep the prime focus on yourself and not on others. Ignore any negative things and focus on your work. If you include these things in your day to day functioning, then you will see much improvement.

Thanks and take care.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is there a permanent solution for repeated depressive episodes?
Postpartum Depression
Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article

How to overcome the feeling of hopelessness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 55-year-old man. I have been suffering from depression for the last five months. I have been feeling tired and hopeless. I want your help for recovery. I am currently on Fluvoxin 50 mg BD.  Read Full »

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.