Q. Why do I have mood swings, hot flushes and low mood around my periods?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

I am a 29 year old female. I have a diagnosis of autism. I have mood swings, feeling low/ depressed, which I do not know if it is related to my periods. People tend to notice more just before and during my periods (but also I do not know if it is partly frustration due to my living circumstances. I am currently living with my mum and her husband, while I wait to move into supported living, but I do not have a date. I am sad and depressed about my weight, but do not have the motivation to get out and do things. If I am exercising, I am constantly thinking it is for weight loss and so not enjoying it, because my head wants instant results. I feel I have always got spots on my face, especially near my mouth, chin, and forehead. Also, I suffer from stress and urge incontinence and need advice on how to manage it when flying as it makes me anxious. And, I am getting hot flushes.

#

I read your query and understood your concern.

Early on you got diagnosed with autism. It is caused by different combinations of genetic and environmental influences. Then thinking about that does not make any sense.

If it is because of environmental conditions that makes you disinterested about yourself, then it better to work up regarding change of environment that you grew up.

It is better to start initially with mediation and yoga which makes you feel fresh and making up some things new every day or try to learn something every day makes you interested in yourself. My advice was initially to rule out any organic diseases like thyroid disorder which even present with similar symptoms and few other common diseases that patient have but being neglected or get unnoticed will lead to health issues. So, get a blood investigation and thyroid profile. Later on, we will proceed accordingly. Kindly attach your reports so that I can help you better.

As per lesion over your mouth and face, it may be due to a vitamin deficiency which is quite common due to poor eating habits.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can you please answer my other questions?

#

Can you kindly upload your blood investigation report? Have you ever checked your thyroid levels?

Because hypothyroidism patients have similar symptoms like hot flushes, low mood, and excess body weight, and irregular menstruation.

Stress or urge incontinence is a sign of an underlying problem rather than a disease in itself. Few probable causes are urinary tract infections and nerve damage.

The mainstay of treatment for urge incontinence are:

1. Behavioral modification (bladder training).
  2. Few exercise techniques like kegel exercise.
  3. Treatment with medication or surgical treatment.

|