Q. I am suffering from anxiety and taking Xanax for longer period. Will it cause withdrawal effect?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Oct 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2019

I am 51 years old female and suffering from anxiety for decades. Recently it became debilitating, and I ended up in the ER and had an EKG because of heart palpitations. My doctor prescribed me 10 mg of Escitalopram and 1.5 mg of Xanax. The Xanax was supposed to be taken as needed, but I misunderstood and have been taking it three times a day (5 mg every eight hours). After six weeks, the SSRI is not helping much. My doctor has increased the dosage to 15 mg. I took the new dose at night and felt awful nauseous, depressed, and lethargic in the morning. Is this the wrong drug for me, or should I go through the side effects? My goal is to feel well enough to start weaning myself off the Xanax. I have not been able to eat solid food for weeks.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Escitalopram is an effective medication for managing anxiety disorder. The usual dose is between 10 to 20 mg daily. You are currently on 15 mg. Side effects can occur commonly in the first two weeks of starting the medication or increasing the dose, and then it tends to settle. Take your medicine after food to minimize nausea. Depression and lethargy can take up to two to four weeks to get better.

Taking Xanax (Alprazolam) regularly for more than a month can lead to dependence, and it will cause a withdrawal effect. Consult your doctor and discuss the earliest to gradually taper off Xanax in a safe manner.

Do breathing exercises and muscle relaxation exercises.

If Xanax is withdrawn, will it lead to anxiety symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother who is 25 years old has been suffering from anxiety for the past four years. His doctor put him on Effexor and Elavil. Both the medicine has to be taken daily in addition to Xanax. Lately, the anxiety has developed into full blown panic attacks, two of which resulted in a ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. From your description, it seems that your brother might have become dependent on Xanax (Alprazolam). Xanax belongs to Benzodiazepine group of drugs and is quite notorious for causing dependence if used for a longer period. Hence...  Read Full

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I like to state that the stress and anxiety can affect almost every organ of the body and polyuria is not an exception. In other words, yes the stress can cause almost all the symptoms narrated in your qu...  Read Full

Please help with Alprazolam addiction.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. My weight is 68 kg. I am married and have two kids. Because, of the disturbance made by my kids, I was not able to sleep well sometimes. So, I just started taking tablet Alprazolam 0.25 mg. Now I have been trying to gradually stop taking the medicine. So, I ha...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.I can understand your concerns. Alprazolam is a habit forming drug. I would suggest you to take Zolpidem for disturbed sleep. Zolpidem is less addictive compared to Alprazolam. I will suggest you the following measures to get a sound sleep. Please try. Avoid sleeping duri...  Read Full