Q. I had severe palpitations but my ECG and echo are normal. What could it be?

Dr. Isaac Gana
Published on Sep 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had an episode of severe palpitations early this year, following which I went through ECG, 2D echo, stress test, and troponin. All the tests were normal. I have been experiencing intermittent chest, neck, and back pain since two yrars. The doctor started with Nebicard SM 5 mg, which he recently halved to 2.5 mg. Both the cardiologists I visited, have ruled out the possibility of a cardiac problem. I am anxiety-prone. I often feel like I may die of a heart attack. The thoughts of death have increased in the past two weeks. My pulse rate seems to be between 55 to 65 bpm at rest and does not seem to rise beyond 80 bpm even while walking. The chest, neck, and back pain still persists. At times I feel dizzy, weak, and very occasionally feel short of breath.

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I understand your concern.

Anxiety is widespread amongst healthy young adults these days. Most often, palpitation is not as a result of a heart problem.

I usually advise my patients to engage in exercises like Yoga or deep breathing exercises.

Getting adequate sleep of six to seven hours, avoiding coffee, alcohol, and smoking will help your situation.

If you stick to these changes, there should be an improvement in four to six weeks. If you do not get better, you will have to see a psychologist.

Best regards.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

My anxiety disorder relapsed after I drank beer. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have anxiety and panic since five years. My GP had given Nexito forte and Veniz XR 37.5. And, I felt better and asked him to reduce the dosage two years ago. He stopped both and gave Nextio plus from then till date. I felt better. I did not smoke or drink while on treatment. 10 days ...  Read Full »

I have weakness and pain in the arm. Should I anticipate surgery?

Query: Hi doctor,I recently had an MRI on my neck. I have a 75 % weakness and pain on the left arm (tricep). Should I anticipate surgery?  Read Full »

Please suggest a cure for my skin rashes based on the report.

Query: Hi doctor, I have rashes similar to the rash of SLE, swollen, painful and redness around the eyes, severe fatigue and muscle weakness. These symptoms occurred a few months back after I had an intestinal infection. The doctors suspected it to be dermatolysis too, thus having a skin biopsy done tomorr...  Read Full »